Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

stupid cry it out

We have 13 1/2 twin boys and up until recently were great sleepers.  The last few weeks my once "strong" sleeper has been up at least 1-2 times a night and needing to be rocked back to sleep.  We still give them bottles before bed and rock to sleep, I know they are too old for that but we were still doing it.  For the past 2 nights we have started CIO with him.  He is obviously tired, have some bottle then in his crib to CIO, it has been about 1/2 hr each night.  But each night, he wakes up about a 1/2 hr later and is crying again, last night we let him CIO again for another 1/2 hr.  But he is still waking up at like 1:30 am too.  He will be standing in his crib and at that time, I just pick him up and we fall back to sleep until I put him down.  What gives!! Any help would be great.  We have seperated the boys now until this crying thing passes. 

Re: stupid cry it out

• Options
    Hearing them cry is terrible.  Just be consistent and strong and know that in the long run their sleeping is better for everyone!

TTC in 2008. Stage II/III endo, Hashimotos hypothyroid, low morph (3%).
    2 cycles Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/Crinone=BFN.
    IUI #1 - 4 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI/Crinone = BFN.
    IVF #1 - Antagonist w/ ICSI 4/10. 17 retrieved, 5DT of 2, BFN :(
    IVF #2 - Long Lupron w/ ICSI 6/10. 15 retrieved, 3DT of 2, BFFN!!
    Lap 7/21/10
    IVF #3 - Clomid/Antagonist w/ ICSI 10/10. 14 retreived, 3DT of 3, BFP 10/20 but m/c. No HB 11/15/10 - D&C 11/17/10.
    FET - 2 blasts, 1 survived the thaw. Transfer 2/19. Beta #1 3/1 375, Beta #2 3/3 885, Beta #3 3/8 4261, Beta #4 3/11 9005. U/S 3/8 1 sac 1 yolk, U/S 3/16 1 heartbeat 114bpm!

James born Oct. 24th 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP - Jack born April 28, 2013 via VBAC after PTL at 33 1/2 weeks!

• Options
    We go though some brief periods of middle of the nigh waking/crying.  So far - it has always ended with new teeth somewhere in her mouth.  If you see any signs of teething, I would give a dose of pain reliever at bed time and see if that helps.  FWIW, we just dropped our night time bottle two weeks ago. 

If you are committed to CIO - don't give up.  Inconsistency w/ it will do more harm than good. GL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1 yr is a pretty common time for growth spurts and possibly still teeth.  Waking up isn't entirely unusual.  (I know my BF daughter nursed like an infant bewtween 12-14mo.)
    IMG_8355
  • Options
    You could also check out the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution". There are quite a few suggestions in there for helping them sleep and reassures parents that in many cases it's normal for them to still night wake up to two years old. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This exact thing has been happening to us.  We have twin girls who are almost 14 months old.  For the last 1-2 months E will wake up anywhere between midnight and 2 am and nothing but some milk will put her to sleep.  We try everything else before giving her a bottle but we always have to resort to it.  I don't really understand what is going on with her.  My thoughts are teething, growing, night terrors.  She will be fine when I am holding her (and most times seems to want to play) then the second I put her down she starts to flip out and stands back up in her crib.  We have always let them CIO to some degree and we still do.  After more then a month of her getting up every night she is finally starting to sleep through most nights.  Really nothing seemed to help us so I really can't give any advise.  Just wanted to say that we have been dealing with the same thing.  Hopefully it doesn't go on too long for you. The only suggestion I have that may help is to evaluate how much your lo sleeps during the day.  We have been keeping them up more during the day and only doing one nap and that seems to help most times.
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It could be any of the above mentioned things for sure.  Also, often times, weird sleep could mean you need a routine tweek.

If they're on two naps still, it may be time to transition to one.  If you just transitioned to one nap, sleep will definitely be weird for awhile until their bodies adjust.

Sometimes a too late bedtime can cause these issues if they're over tired, or too short of naps during the day.  Also, sometimes, they may need a bit more time awake before going to bed.

What is their schedule like?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"