Health & Exercise

Previously broken back?

I broke my back when I was 17 (24 now). I am now fused T12-L2 (mid/low back, Sciatic Nerve mainframe). Back pain/chronic Sciatica and a diminished range of motion is something I've been dealing with ever since. Now I am 6 months pregnant and am just DYING from pain. I understand back pain comes with the pregnancy territory, but I was NOT prepared for this. It's incredibly worse than it has ever been, and I'm trying to stay positive.

Has anyone else gone through this? If so, please share! Even if it's not positive news lol, I'd like to be somewhat prepared for what I'm in for.

Thank you :) 

Aubrae 

Re: Previously broken back?

• Hi Aubrae!  You might want to look into some alternative care to help deal with the pain.  Prenatal massage and acupuncture might work well.  Also, some chiropractors are trained to work with pregnant women, and you can go to icpa4kids.org and search for a chiropractor in your area that is Webster Technique certified.  If you would like more information feel free to contact me at cskutleydc@gmail.com.  I am a pediatric chiropractor and Webster Technique certified.  Good luck on your journey :)
  • I'll be watching this thread too - I had my L2 vertebra removed when I was 16 (cancerous tumor) and still have the metal rods in my back.  I've always been concerned about how pregnancy is going to affect that.
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you cskutley! I had my second prenatal massage yesterday...But since it's only the 2nd one it hasn't done a whole lot yet (I'm going weekly from now on...Hopefully insurance will cover the next 4 months!). I have a Midwife appt next week so I think I'll ask about acupuncture. My chiro is AMAZING...I absolutely love him. However...He's not "certified" in pregnancy chiro, so I will talk to him and see if he thinks I should go elsewhere. With my back history...I get stressed out with anything like that lol. Thank you for all your advice!!

Direy25...Good luck! I'm not being sarcastic. I pray your pain won't be as bad as mine...But in reality...It could be. Most of my pain is because my sciatic nerve basically floats around in the open now, so hopefully that will be different for you. I also got my rods/screws/everything else removed 6 months after surgery. My body wasn't rejecting them necessarily, but I am SO small framed, they caused more issues than help. I bought a Medela pregnancy back brace, it has truly helped! Not enough to where I'm comfortable, but enough to take the excruciatingness down a notch lol. I am NOT trying to be negative or complaining. I didn't know what to expect, and I want you to be better prepared! Are you guys ttc? 

• Oh I just saw your ticker...Lol. Congrats on the growing baby! ;)
  • imageNishisGirl:
    Oh I just saw your ticker...Lol. Congrats on the growing baby! ;)

Thank you!  And thank you for your honesty, I would definitely rather be somewhat prepared.  I hope you're able to find some relief!

Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• jshfjshf member
    I fractured a couple vertebrae but thankfully never had surgery. I was on pain pills though for years and was worried about managing the pain without them. I actually found out about Reiki therapy. It's noninvasive. They don't even really touch you. I even took a one day class to learn how to do it to myself. After about 6 months I had no pain and I've had 2 kids and still no pain!

A lot of hospitals offer it as well as private practitioners. Reiki.org is a good place to start if u want more info. GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"