Health & Exercise
Options

Vegan while pregnate?

I have been a Vegan for 3 months now and am looking to conceive in the next 3 months.  I would love to continue my lifestyle thru pregnancy but my hubby is a little concerned. Any Vegan mommies out there?

Re: Vegan while pregnate?

• Options

If its hubby's mind you want to ease, call an OB (then its a medical opinion) 

My vegan friends have kids, but I don't know a polite way of asking if their pregnancy included animal byproducts  

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have been vegetarian for 12 years and to June I started follow a vegan diet. So it had only been about 4 months that I was strictly vegan. When I got pregnant I did a ton of research because I wanted to make sure that I was getting enough nutrients for baby. I was having a hard time getting enough protein for the both of us and I started to crave Greek yogurt! After telling my husband who also follows a vegetarian/vegan diet he though that I should listen to my body and have the dairy if I was craving it. And I did. I have eggs that a friends chickens lays and low fat cheese and yogurt. I automatically felt better with more energy! Just listen to your body. You can always go back after the baby. I'm just glad that I'm not craving meat lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Vegetarian, not vegan but I just made sure to share this with my OB on our first visit. Honestly, one of the doctors was very judgmental about it but the other 2 had no concerns, and we discussed different ways to get enough protein. As long as you can still get all of the nutrients you need, it shouldn't be a problem...just make sure to discuss this with your doctor or midwife. Growing a baby doesn't require animal products :) 
  • Options
    I am vegan and 20 weeks pregnant. I believe it to be a very healthy diet especially if you are eating lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and proteins like beans, seeds, soy products, seitan, etc. Take your B12 which would be in a prenatal anyway. Leafy greens and almond milk have lots of calcium.

My baby and I are both very healthy and I've had almost no symptoms throughout the pregnancy. Amazon has some good books on vegan pregnancies if you want more info. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have been vegan for a few years and had a vegan pregnancy. Very doable! Do your research. I recommend buying vegan for life and my vegan pregnancy. Both are on amazon. You can do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"