Trouble TTC
Options

Question - PCOS and Clomid

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Hi all. Seeking some advice here.... DH and I have been TTC for almost 3 years now. I was diagnosed with PCOS nearly 2 years ago and was put on Metformin. The following month my periods returned and have been pretty regular ever since. I had a transvaginal ultrasound about a year ago that confirmed I was ovulating at the time. It looks like I ovulate every month according to my BBT charts. My DH had low count and motility that?s been corrected with HCG injections so everything looks good on his end but we still haven?t conceived. I have a friend who was diagnosed with PCOS last year and her GYN put her on Metformin AND Clomid. She conceived the next month. Everything I?ve read about Clomid being used in cases of PCOS is to help start ovulation. So my question is does it seem worth it for me to talk to my doctor about going on Clomid, or would it be pointless since my charts indicate I?m ovulating? I just don?t know much about Clomid or how it works so any insight I can get before I go talk to my doctor would be much appreciated. /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}
imageimage

Re: Question - PCOS and Clomid

• Options

Welcome, Tara!  I have a few thoughts/questions - I will bullet them for convenience :-)

1 - Who is prescribing the Metformin, an RE or your Ob?

2 - Has your ovulation been confirmed through progesterone testing?  Are you using an OPK?  Have you ever used an early pregnancy test and gotten a BFP?

3 - Have you had an HSG (a test where they make sure your tubes are clear)?

4 - While the Metformin seems to be regulating you, something else is clearly wrong.  What was the last time your husband's sperm was analyzed?

5 - Has the doctor ever done an ultrasound of your follicles prior to ovulation? 

I think there is a lot of diagnostic work that has to be done before determining of Clomid is the right treatment.  A procedure (like an IUI) might be more valuable than more medication at this point, but again, a lot of diagnostic information is missing.

TTC#1
    Dx PCOS @ 16y.o
    9/2011: unplanned natural conception and MC @ 6weeks Cycle 1: 12/2012: TI & 2000MG Metformin & 100MG Clomid = CP
    Functional Cyst - fixed with 2wks BCP
    Cycle 2: 1/31/13: IUI #1
    Meds:2000MG Metformin, 100MG Clomid, HSG/Trigger, Provera 400mg 2DPIUI
    Stats: SA 20mil & 63% mot/follicles (as per 1/30 u/s): 22, 13, 14
    BFP! Beta #1 13DPiui: 79! Beta #2 15DPiui: 164! Beta#3 19DPIUI: 773! First US scheduled 3/5! EDD Oct 23!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    S/PAIF Welcome - You girls give me HOPE!
    Herbal Supplements: 1800mg NAC, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Baby Asprin, Folguard, Multivitamin
  • Options
    imageCLECyclist:

How long have you been TTC since your husband's count/motility issues have been corrected? Have you had a HSG? Would you be monitored by an RE? If an OB is prescribing this for you and does not intend to give you an HSG and monitoring, I would not take it until you can consult with an RE.

Some doctors prescribe Clomid for "weak" ovulations but it doesn't sound like you've determined that's an issue for you. 

I haven't had an HSG. When I went to my RE he didn't think I needed one. But now I'm starting to wonder. We've been trying for about 5 months since my husband's level's came back up. I know that's still a relatively short amount of time considering but you know how it feels like an eternity. Am I'm just wondering if maybe there's still something else going on on my end. I would definitely consult my RE about this, not my OB. I'm just wondering if it's time to look into Clomid or see if maybe I have "weak" ovulation as you put it.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNYCGal276:

Welcome, Tara!  I have a few thoughts/questions - I will bullet them for convenience :-)

1 - Who is prescribing the Metformin, an RE or your Ob?

2 - Has your ovulation been confirmed through progesterone testing?  Are you using an OPK?  Have you ever used an early pregnancy test and gotten a BFP?

3 - Have you had an HSG (a test where they make sure your tubes are clear)?

4 - While the Metformin seems to be regulating you, something else is clearly wrong.  What was the last time your husband's sperm was analyzed?

5 - Has the doctor ever done an ultrasound of your follicles prior to ovulation? 

I think there is a lot of diagnostic work that has to be done before determining of Clomid is the right treatment.  A procedure (like an IUI) might be more valuable than more medication at this point, but again, a lot of diagnostic information is missing.

Hi there.

1. My OB prescribed the Metformin before I ever went to an RE but my RE reviewed everything and wanted me to continue that treatment

2. I haven't had any further testing done to confirm my ovulation. I have to admit, I don't use OPK's regularly but I have had 2 positive OPK's in the last 6 months. I've never had a BFP.

3. No HSG. MY RE didn't think I needed it. But I'm wondering if I should request it?

4. My husband's last semen analysis was about 5 month ago

5. I had one ultrasound to confirm that I was polysistic and then another done about 6 months later that showed I was ovulating at the time

Thanks for your input. It sounds like I definitely need to reconsult my doctor about this whole thing in general. UGH!

imageimage
  • Options

Yes!  I'm not satisfied with your Doc!  And I got my degree on TheBump.com! :-)

Too many unanswered questions - I like to go in with a written list so I can ensure all questions are answered.

GOOD LUCK 

TTC#1
    Dx PCOS @ 16y.o
    9/2011: unplanned natural conception and MC @ 6weeks Cycle 1: 12/2012: TI & 2000MG Metformin & 100MG Clomid = CP
    Functional Cyst - fixed with 2wks BCP
    Cycle 2: 1/31/13: IUI #1
    Meds:2000MG Metformin, 100MG Clomid, HSG/Trigger, Provera 400mg 2DPIUI
    Stats: SA 20mil & 63% mot/follicles (as per 1/30 u/s): 22, 13, 14
    BFP! Beta #1 13DPiui: 79! Beta #2 15DPiui: 164! Beta#3 19DPIUI: 773! First US scheduled 3/5! EDD Oct 23!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    S/PAIF Welcome - You girls give me HOPE!
    Herbal Supplements: 1800mg NAC, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Baby Asprin, Folguard, Multivitamin
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"