VBAC
Options

laboring at home?

So, I'm feeling torn about wanting to labor at home for as long as possible, but also wanting the reassurance of being in a hospital setting.  My hospital does not have their wireless monitors working, so I'll be "tethered" pretty close to the bed whenever I'm admitted.  I can still stand, use a birth ball, etc., but can't walk around or anything like that.  I'd love all the freedom and relaxation of laboring at home, but DH especially is worried about the risks not being monitored.  My thought is that the risk of uterine rupture would be lower in early labor anyway...but I haven't read anything to back this up.  Anybody know or have any recommendations for me? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: laboring at home?

• Options

I had a similar debate with myself as well and ultimately decided on it being better to labor at home for as long as possible. A few things that might work as a compromise:

-Would your practice support intermittent monitoring in early labor? If so, you wouldn't have to be tethered. A nurse would come & monitor you every 15-20 minutes or you would be hooked up for 20 minutes out of every hour. 

-Are you getting a doula? A few CPMs-in-training in my area work as doulas while completing their certification, so they're trained to take vitals and have those little mobile monitors. If your doula is a CPM-in-training, then she might be able to monitor you at home while you labor and help you decide when to transfer to the hospital.

-Is there a local birth center that offers montrisse services? It's kind of a new thing in my area, but for moms who want to do most of their labor in a home-like-setting but deliver in an actual hospital, one of the closer birth centers will offer a "montrisse" package: CPMs support & monitor you throughout labor in the comfort of their birthing suites (full size hot tubs!) and help you decide when to transition to a hospital. It costs about the same as hiring an experienced doula. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I want to labor at home as looong as possible! I might change mind once labor actually starts, but the idea of being poked by all those strangers and wrapped in monitors makes me hyperventilate a little. The risks are very small.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"