January 2012 Moms

Tough transition to WCM

So I didn't start trying to give him WCM till after he turned a year. I've tried mixing it with his formula in a sippy cup and he gags and won't drink it and has thrown it up right away a couple times. I just started last night doing 6 oz. formula and 2 oz. WCM with his night time bottle and he drank it fine. Our ped. said we were ok to keep giving him his morning and night bottle for a couple more months. Just wondering if anyone has tips for getting him to drink it out of his sippy cup? He drinks water fine out of it but not sure why he won't drink the milk from his sippy cup. Any tips would be great :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Tough transition to WCM

• I'm with you on the bottles! He has two a day too and I'm scared to drop the night one since he sleeps for 12 hours too. Hope I get some good advice too, right now don't think the WCM is going to be easy. I've read to try sippy cups that are more like bottles because i'm wondering if he just won't do milk from a sippy cup but who knows. There always seems to be something it seems!

• my first son never did drink cow's milk. he nursed till he was 2. he doesn't even drink chocolate milk. he gags every time.

our pedi didn't seem to think it was a big deal as long as we're getting him a balanced diet and other sources of calcium, which we do. He eats yogurt and cheese and dark green vegetables (ok, broccoli mostly).

ETA: he now drinks water almost exclusively. once in a while he has juice but it's more like a treat than a beverage.

• Loading the player...
  • Forgive me for randomly reappearing after lurking for months, but this has been tough for us to, so I wanted to offer what we did.

We tried WCM, starting with 1 oz mixed with formula. We sent it to day care in his first bottle of the day, and he started spitting up the second day. We changed it to the second bottle he receives at DC (after lunch) and we have had no problems. We continue to up the amount of milk by 1/2 oz every 2 days.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We are doing a WCM+BM mixture. He isnt thrilled about it, but the Nanny says that he drinks it, just not as enthusiastically as when his bottles are/were just BM.

I tried WCM in a sippy cup a few times. He would take some sips then give me this WTF look and throw the cup on the floor. Apparently he didnt appreciate the water switch out. I bought some new sippy cups for 12+ months and also a spill proof cup to try. I read that using a new type of cup sometimes gets them excited. We'll see...

• imagemichaelaskedlauren:

We are doing a WCM+BM mixture. He isnt thrilled about it, but the Nanny says that he drinks it, just not as enthusiastically as when his bottles are/were just BM.

I tried WCM in a sippy cup a few times. He would take some sips then give me this WTF look and throw the cup on the floor. Apparently he didnt appreciate the water switch out. I bought some new sippy cups for 12+ months and also a spill proof cup to try. I read that using a new type of cup sometimes gets them excited. We'll see...

It's funny you say that about the sippy cup with milk vs. water. This morning I tried formula in the sippy cup and he gave me the same wth is this look? and gagged and threw it. I'll try to get some different sippy cups too I also saw one online that's more like a bottle on the top so I'll try to find something like that. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I guess I'll keep trying, when I mix it with his formula in a bottle he drinks it fine I think it has to do with the sippy cup. 

• My DD is the same.

She NEVER took formula out of a sippy and is really struggling with WCM. One or two sips and that's it. Water on the other hand she'll drink out of anything.

I'm not stressing about it anymore and simply give her 4 bottles a day so she gets the amount she needs and just offer milk in a sippy with her meals. First few times she didn't take anything at all, now she'll take a sip here and there...

It will be a slower transition but that's ok. They all get there eventually.

So no big help here, just wanted to let you know we have the same struggles

Good luck!

Oh and I also wanted to add that we started off with 1 Oz wcm and 5 Oz formula and just kept increaseing wcm and decreasing formula. She completely switched within 2 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebigbear:

My DD is the same.

She NEVER took formula out of a sippy and is really struggling with WCM. One or two sips and that's it. Water on the other hand she'll drink out of anything.

I'm not stressing about it anymore and simply give her 4 bottles a day so she gets the amount she needs and just offer milk in a sippy with her meals. First few times she didn't take anything at all, now she'll take a sip here and there...

Good luck!

Oh and I also wanted to add that we started off with 1 Oz wcm and 5 Oz formula and just kept increaseing wcm and decreasing formula. She completely switched within 2 weeks.

Thank you for the advice. I like that I'm not the only one going through this. It's funny how they're so particular about some things. We're mixing the formula and WCM with bottles too, I think i started the transition later than others but oh well he's still getting what he needs calcium wise. I'll keep offering at meals like you suggested, thanks :) 

• imageJmcmahon21:
    imagebigbear:

My DD is the same.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. I like that I'm not the only one going through this. It's funny how they're so particular about some things. We're mixing the formula and WCM with bottles too, I think i started the transition later than others but oh well he's still getting what he needs calcium wise. I'll keep offering at meals like you suggested, thanks :) 

I'm happy if I could help at least a little :)

And don't worry about timing, it's really whatever you are comfortable with. And your LO! Some of our babies are just more picky than others and we have to adjust accordingly :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you tried just WCM in a sippy with no formula? My DD refused formula in a sippy and would only drink it from a bottle, but WCM by itself in a sippy she was more willing to try.

Her fluid intake definitely went down for a bit, but now she's drinking more milk along with the water she was already drinking.

Fwiw we let her keep her morning and bedtime bottles for a bit and during the day only offered milk and water in sippy cups, making sure to offer a morning and afternoon snack as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner. After a week or two of that we took away those last 2 bottles and DD has been okay. That was a little over a month ago.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • imagetalitha712:
    Have you tried just WCM in a sippy with no formula? My DD refused formula in a sippy and would only drink it from a bottle, but WCM by itself in a sippy she was more willing to try. Her fluid intake definitely went down for a bit, but now she's drinking more milk along with the water she was already drinking. Fwiw we let her keep her morning and bedtime bottles for a bit and during the day only offered milk and water in sippy cups, making sure to offer a morning and afternoon snack as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner. After a week or two of that we took away those last 2 bottles and DD has been okay. That was a little over a month ago.

Yea I've tried it plain in a sippy and I tried 2 other sippy cups with just WCM and he still gagged. I'm going to try to find a sippy cup similar to a bottle but if that doesn't work I'll call the Ped. 

• imageFarmBoysWife:
    Have you tried to warm it up? 

Yea I have, he wants no part of it :( 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"