April 2012 Moms

Etiquette with names

I was just mentioning my neighbor to LO this morning..of course by his first name. Maybe I should start saying his formal name. I remember when growing up we would call our neighbors Mr.and Mrs. So and so. Our neighbor's kids (8 and 6) call us by our first names. So I'm just curious what you will do for your children.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Etiquette with names

• We always use Mr & Mrs so & so....

If it's a very close family friend we might use uncle or aunt so & so....

• I'm anxious to see the answers for this; I've been wondering this a lot lately too.  Same as OP, I always called everybody Mr. or Mrs. (and still do).  BUT I'm not sure if I think it's something I feel is important anymore.  Sure I want LO to be respectful of everyone, but it seems so formal sometimes.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh Gosh! This is something I hadn't even thought of. I grew up calling people by Mr. or Mrs. - except close family friends were usually Auntie or Uncle. My husband and his friends, though, called people by their first names, I believe.

Our closest friends we already refer to Uncle or Auntie so-and-so to A... I think we will refer to her friends' parents, neighbors, etc. as Mr. or Mrs... unless asked by the person to use their first name. It's a sign of respect.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My kids use Mr. and Mrs. when talking to/about adults. We also use yes, ma'am/sir when answering.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm terrible at this. I grew up calling my aunts and uncles by their first name. DH did the same. My niece and nephew (8+5) just recently started calling me "Aunt __" because it was hard enough to say/remember my name when they were little. We're trying the anut/uncle thing, and we're trying the Mr./Miss thing. We don't know many people other than family though. All of the daycare people are "Miss ____" so we'll try to keep it up.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I grew up saying Mr or Miss (first name). DD does the same, although some people are Aunt or Uncle.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan to do Mr and Miss (first name). When I was a kid, if I knew the person we used their first name. If not, then it was the Mr/Mrs last name but I was never comfortable with that cuz how formal it was.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Neighbors and family friends were always Mrs or Mr first name. We will probably continue this with our LO. Her daycare provider goes by Mrs Mel.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With my three year old I always tell her say Mrs. & Mr. who ever. Although she doesn't always do that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"