November 2012 Moms
Options

Sleep taking the easy way out

So baby H still isn't sleeping much in the crib. I've been trying it some every night but if he's not in s really deep sleep he's up withing minutes, if he is in a deep sleep, he'll be up within an hour. He ends up most of the night in the swing.
So last night when i was already in bed, he woke up, i fed him, he fell back to sleep, I put him in the crib he quickly woke up, so I contemplated for a second then put him in the swing. The night before he was up every hour and I wanted sleep and it disrupts his sleep too. Well he slept 5 hours in the swing. So he's able to make if long stretches sleeping just wont do it in the crib.
I'm feeling kinda guilty for putting him in the swing bc he's 8 weeks. Im hoping once his Zantac kicks in he'll do better laying on his back.
I guess I don't really have a question. I'm just feeling a little defeated.

Re: Sleep taking the easy way out

• Options

Don't worry!  Sometimes you just need to do what works.  You need your sleep too.  I've been there - and it doesn't help you or the baby if you're overtired.  M did not sleep for long stretches at first in his crib.  We had to use the swing or his PnP several times for the first couple weeks we tried the crib.  Now he's doing much better.  I've found that swaddling works the best for him, but I realize that's not possible for every baby now, especially since some are starting to roll!  Eventually he will get used to his crib, but for now, don't beat yourself up if he's not sleeping well there.  Do what you need to and in time it will get better. 

ETA:  M sometimes does better too if I hold him up for about 20 min after a feeding.  And as PP saiid, maybe an incline would help your LO?

Photobucket
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of him:"
    -1 Samuel 1:27 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, 8 weeks is still brand new in the big picture. And, you gotta get some sleep or it gets harder to be a good mom (at least in my case). Like you said, once the Zantac starts working he'll probably be way more comfy laying flat in his crib. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    photo 9c28f28c-5aae-4b20-8f02-ea27ec37f516_zpsdaed06b5.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We felt bad too bc E naps in the swing during the day... So she's in there for several hours and sometimes we feel bad just plopping her in there and shushing her to sleep, but during the day she needs that movement to stay asleep. I have no idea what will happen once we start dc and she doesn't cant be in the swing for all of her naps in a quiet room. But if you've found something that works, celebrate it and get your sleep in while you can!
    Ellia33_zps24161a44

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
  • Options
    Definitely don't feel guilty. I think getting good rest is more important for everyone than sleeping in a crib. DS1 slept in his carseat until he was 2 months when we OT the RNP. He slept in that until 5 months! Eventually he just started doing ok in the crib and now he's 2 1/2 and a great sleeper. So do whatever works!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    CJ has some mild reflux and attics he sleeps in hs car seat in the crib because it is the only place he will sleep more than an hour. I asked my edi and she said it was perfectly fine, but I also feel guilty about it at times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That's how my baby is. They put him on zantac and he sleeps in the swing at night, we've started transitioning to his crib which has been a challenge. We put a couple pillows under one crib side to elevate it a little and he seems to do better now that we've done that but sadly still wont get a deep sleep for more than a couple hours in his crib. I think he's not use to having that large space when he's use to being in his swing. Keep your head up he will get use to it just gotta keep trying! It took about a week and a half for the zantac to kick in for him and once he did we could tell a big difference!

• Options
    imagebabyboy0112:

That's how my baby is. They put him on zantac and he sleeps in the swing at night, we've started transitioning to his crib which has been a challenge. We put a couple pillows under one crib side to elevate it a little and he seems to do better now that we've done that but sadly still wont get a deep sleep for more than a couple hours in his crib. I think he's not use to having that large space when he's use to being in his swing. Keep your head up he will get use to it just gotta keep trying! It took about a week and a half for the zantac to kick in for him and once he did we could tell a big difference!

This! My LO was put on Zantac. We noticed a difference within a day or two. But laying in crib was still an issue. So he stayed in RnP. Then I got a crib wedge. That still didn't work so well. We added rice cereal or oatmeal to his bottles (just a teaspoon at Pedi's recommendation). We saw an immediate difference. Tried the crib again. He still fussed but did give us 4 hour stretches. I still could hear and smell the reflux. I tried adding another crib wedge recently and he has been GREAT in crib now. It's been a few days in a row...hoping the trend continues. Definitely try to elevate the crib mattress in some way.

However---if it doesn't work, don't feel badly! My pedi told us her son slept in something like the RnP for almost 16 weeks before the crib transition was successful.

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"