December 2010 Moms

Anemia?

Sorry I'm full of questions today.

They finger pricked A today at his well visit check. Btw I'm growing a giant... 37 inches tall and 32 pounds. Well we were talking about the fact he walks on his toes most of the time and now have a referral for PT and we are about to start round 3 of antibiotics this time to treat a sinus infection since his ears look ok just has fluid and he has tons of nasal drainage and fever again after his last round of antibiotics ....the doctor forgot to tell me A's hemoglobin was low. So she called me after I left and said I'd need to start a vitamin with iron and go to a lab for blood draw. We are with a new pedi and our old never had his blood drawn, anybody else with similar experience either with the 2 year or 1 year old check? His level was 8.1
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anemia?

• C had this problem at a year.  I don't remember the numbers now but it was low so they waited a few minutes and re-tested.  It went lower!  So, we were sent for full lab work.  Everything came back fine except for his iron stores which were low.  We put him on 1/2 of a Flintstone Complete per day per the advice of the pedi and he's been fine ever since.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know you're a nurse (right enjoy?) so you probably know all about this, but letranger's comment about the sucky blood draw made me think of this.  C has his blood drawn a lot of allergy testing and the low iron and it's always been terrible too.  Last time though, we were offered and choose to use the numbing cream first.  It takes 30 extra minutes (thankfully our hospital has a huge, awesome train to play with in the meantime) but it made a world of difference!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelrn327:
    I know you're a nurse right enjoy? so you probably know all about this, but letranger's comment about the sucky blood draw made me think of this.nbsp; C has his blood drawn a lot of allergy testing and the low iron and it's always been terrible too.nbsp; Last time though, we were offered and choose to use the numbing cream first.nbsp; It takes 30 extra minutes thankfully our hospital has a huge, awesome train to play with in the meantime but it made a world of difference!

I am. His blood draw is being done at one of the free standing lab centers rather than the hospital so I'll have to see if that is even an option. If its too rough and they have too much difficulty I will ask our pedi to send us to the hospital instead. I have his cell phone for distraction now. His last round of shots at his 18 month visit he never shed a tear, just gave the nurse a dirty look and asked me for the phone and a hug. I'm hoping his blood draw goes that well. His finger stick yesterday he was holding his cell at the same time he was mildly annoyed with the poking but same, no tears yesterday either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageenjoylife:
    imagelrn327:
    I know you're a nurse right enjoy? so you probably know all about this, but letranger's comment about the sucky blood draw made me think of this.nbsp; C has his blood drawn a lot of allergy testing and the low iron and it's always been terrible too.nbsp; Last time though, we were offered and choose to use the numbing cream first.nbsp; It takes 30 extra minutes thankfully our hospital has a huge, awesome train to play with in the meantime but it made a world of difference!
    I am. His blood draw is being done at one of the free standing lab centers rather than the hospital so I'll have to see if that is even an option. If its too rough and they have too much difficulty I will ask our pedi to send us to the hospital instead. I have his cell phone for distraction now. His last round of shots at his 18 month visit he never shed a tear, just gave the nurse a dirty look and asked me for the phone and a hug. I'm hoping his blood draw goes that well. His finger stick yesterday he was holding his cell at the same time he was mildly annoyed with the poking but same, no tears yesterday either.

What a champ!!  I'm sure you'll both be just fine then.  FX for good results.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"