Babies on the Brain
Options

Gender neutral, gender specific, or neither?

When I was pregnant (after finding out I was having a boy) I went shopping for things like a diaper bag, baby carrier, car seat/stroller, etc (like the big stuff I would use, not so much baby).

I bought a diaper bag that had darker pinks, oranges, and yellows on it (I liked the colors, I didn't buy it because it was girly), and the baby carrier I have (Moby) is cream, so not necessarily boyish or girly. As for the car seat/stroller, we bought one that is dark grey, and the car seat and stroller have an almost neon blue for under the canopy.

Had I been having a girl, I would not have changed a thing, but I'm wondering, did you (or would you) buy your diaper bag, carrier, etc, based on what colors you liked and thought you looked good in? Or would you go with what you were having (blue for boy, pink for girl, etc)?

I'm curious to see what people say....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gender neutral, gender specific, or neither?

• Options
    Once I found out I was having a girl I bought as much girly colored stuff as possible. However, with the Moby wrap I bought a color that my husband wouldn't be embarrassed to wear!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You may want to post this on the post-birth boards, as many of us here don't have kids yet, but I would imagine when I DO have to choose items, I will try to keep the big items (car seat/carrier, stroller, etc. gender neutral (and things I like) in hopes of using them again if we have another child.
                                                                Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Our DS was born towards the beginning of Spring so I chose gender neutral pale greens and yellows. We had a Peter Rabbit theme going in his room.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did colors I liked. My diaper bag is silver, the stroller is red, my carriers are 1) Black, 2) Silver, 3) Rainbow, 4) Sage. Things that I knew I'd use for multiple babies I went gender neutral. Actually...the only thing that is gender specific are his clothes. 
  • Options

I was team green and bought everything gender neutral, even after he was born I bought what I could (clothes excluded). 

I want a few babies, so it just made sense to me to do it this way.  

• Options
    I knew I was having a boy, but still did pretty neutral stuff.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Logic tells me that when the time comes I should get gender neutral, but I know the chances of me not going pink or blue are really slim.
  • Options

I did buy a lot of pink sht. I think most of it was unintentional though. I got the stroller, infant seat , high chair, and swing in a bundle that just happened to be in a pink pattern. So I ended up buying other things like the PNP and RNP to match the set. 

I did buy a neutral car seat, and umbrella stroller though. 

Odds are I'd buy a lot of blue sht if the next one was a boy. Then at least I'd have plenty of each so #3 will be covered lol.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

All of my son's baby gear (car seat, stroller, pack and play, high chair) are neutral colors.  I knew we wanted more kids and don't want multiple items if we don't need them.

The diaper bag is grey. I liked it because it looks like a purse.

• Options
    My diaper bag/infant car seat were mostly grey with a touch of blue. I reused these items for my second child who was a girl. I'm pretty sure that she'll not need to seek therapy in the future since there was some blue in her carseat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The diaper bag seems like a silly thing to match to the sex of your baby.  You're the one carrying it, pick something you like.
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • Options

I intentionally choose gender neutral stuff. DH and I had already made the decision that we wanted 2-3 kids and I wanted to be able to reuse as much as I could. 

If I find myself having to buy more stuff when #2 comes along then I will buy gender neutral again.

I also just like the neutral stuff better. DD doesn't need to be surrounded by pink all the time.

• Options

My diaper bag belongs to ME and has to match MY coats, clothes, shoes, etc.  So I went with a bag that looked fashionable to my eye.  It isn't babyish at all.  It is black with a lavender liner (it is Coach and I've had it for almost 4 years now and it has held up amazingly well).

Our infant seat, high chair, swing, bouncer were all purchased gender neutral (sage greens, grays, creams).  I am so thankful we did that because after our daughter was born we had a surprise pregnancy and had our son 16 months later.  We were able to reuse the infant seat, strollers, etc without feeling like we were covering him in pink. Stick out tongue

The things I did more boyish or girlish - their convertible seats (DD has pink polka dots and DS has a more masculine black and tan print) and things I get two of (they have JJ Cole Bundle-Mes in my BOB stroller - one is pink, one is blue).

This all being said, if we have one more baby (and it will be the LAST ONE if we have one more), I will need to buy a new infant seat and will likely go with whatever I like regardless of whether it is gender specific or not.  With #1, I was thinking ahead to siblings.  With #3, I will just be having fun planning for one last baby and I'll do whatever I want! :)

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    I don't have kids yet, but I feel the diaper bag is for me, so I'll get the color or pattern I like - not necessarily one that "corresponds" with the sex of my child. I imagine H will want a masculine one for himself even if the child is a girl. I generally dislike our cultural practice of getting everything in pink for girls and blue for boys.
  • Options
    I would gender neutral would be best in case you have more kids and they aren't the same gender.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    3TC March Siggy Challenge: Funny Internet Meme Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Age: Me 26, DH 27, Married Oct. 10, 2009 ,TTC since March 2012
    Problem: Irregular menstruation, unexplained
    Nov&Dec-Provera because of no period after 35+ days
    First RE appt 1/10/2013
    Tests: TSH (normal), Prolactin (normal), SA (abnormal)
    Hysteroscopy (normal) and PCOS labs (negative/normal) 1/15/2013
    2/1/13- HPT BFP but Beta Hcg was negative
    Plan: Femara + Trigger + IUI in April if no real BFP before then Bloggy Blog!
  • Options

Neutral colours. A great neutral diaper bag, if it doesn't look too much like a diaper bag or have too many weird compartments, can become a shoulder bag once you don't need a diaper bag. (I haven't done this myself, but my best friend went this route and I'm planning on following her lead).

• Options
    I haven't had to buy anything yet but when I do I've already decided that everything will be pretty neutral. We don't want to find out the gender of our baby but I guess it'll also work for when we have a second child as well. I didn't even think of that possibility!!
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"