Blended Families

I called CPS.

So after her ear infection he never took care of or followed up on and pneumonia he refused to give her her breathing treatments on. and then getting her with a 104 fever I had it. The investigator said I was in the right by calling and all I asked was to make sure he is not neglecting her medical needs. If I cant make sure she's ok at least someone can. Nothing worse than having to worry about your sick child going to bed with a high fever and not knowing if her dad is going to give her meds to keep it down. nerves are shot had to take 6mo. old to ER ahhh....never ending.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: I called CPS.

• Better safe than sorry - I think you did the right thing. I hope your kids are okay!
  • I think that's a good step. If you're serious about getting full custody (and I do believe that you are), proving the current living situation isn't in her best interest will only help you. Worst case, it will force her dad to get proper medical care. Make sure you keep following up with CPS.

I can't imagine not being able to care for DS when he's ill. Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pediatrician was our best friend when we sought fullof custody of SD before we knew for sure just how deep and bad things really were. At the.time we started, all we had to go on was unfit living conditions, which took forever to get her caught in and prove BM was living there, and neglect of medical needs. We were pretty much in the same boat when it came to SD's illnesses.being chronic and recurrent, and once she was living with us, it improved drastically. Of course, we had somenother problems to deal with regarding why we needed custosy of my SD, but regardless... make your pediatrician your friend, even if you are not the one able to take her there.

And I am so glad you actually got a response from CPS at all. Lord knows that I am one of CPS's biggest downers after our experience with lack of action from them.
  • Im glad you were able to get a response from cps as well. I had a few bad expiriences with cps. Mainly a lack of response or dropping the case altogether without investigation. I had to take my evidance to an attorney and found out not only was x using drugs but he was allowing a child molestor around DS and around his own victimwhy they would allow the molestor around the child he molested is beyond me... hope it works in your favor in the end

Do you have a good attorney? It will probably be your next step. A lot of times I got concerned cps workers over the phone then the actual case worker didn't care. Good luck
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Too often, those who have not had to deal with CPS do not understand that they are not the superheroes they are portrayed to be. My DH and my families definitely did not understand. Make sure you keep up with the date/time you called and nature of.your report. We found that three years of reports from us are nonexistent completely due to BM having a friend who worked in the department. When she was found out and switched to another county not terminated we asked why our child abuse hotline calls were not on record. They told us only randomly selected calls are recorded, which is a load of crap according to their policies and guidlines that are available to the public. We also filed numerous official complaints against the department, and they became even more unresponsive when they realized I could actually understand their policies for investigations and had the entire file.downloaded as astep PDF on my phone.

After four years of calling CPS, two of which were about suspicion of sexual abuse, CPS only actually talked to SD this past summer when the state that her halfsiblinga forced them to investigate based on their findings in the siblings' case and thus reason to believe SD would be in danger. But because we were viilating our CO to keep SD awa from BM, they said she was safe and they could do nothing further. They said they could only get involved if she ever went back BM.

Just warning you from experience how rocky and ugly the road with CPS can be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"