Health & Exercise
Options

Not big on exercise, but need it

So, I'm newly pregnant. I have a healthy balanced diet now...

Before pregnancy, I would walk 20-30 min 3 times a week... at my walking pace its about a 1.5 - 2 miles.

I am overweight. My doctor told me to add exercises... any exercises.

I'm looking into yoga for childbirth flexibility and strengthening, but I'm also looking for fun ideas from all of you.

So, what exercise do you just LOVE? 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
imageimage

Re: Not big on exercise, but need it

• Options

Since you're a novice and newly pregnant I would continue to do what you were doing and not try to add too much.  Maybe you can try walking at a slightly faster pace, walk at an incline,  a little longer, or a few extra days a week.  You could also try adding a day of two of LIGHT weights or body weight exercises (e.g. tricep dips).  Another good workout would be swimming or a water aerobics class.  I used to giggle at the thought of water aerobics and thought it would be full of old ladies, but just recently, as I start to get uncomfortable and push ups, burpees, etc. get harder, I incorporated a day of water aerobics and it feels great.  It's not an intense workout but the water is relaxing, easy on my joints, and it gets my heart pumping.

Oh, and if you need some workout ideas go to www.fitpregnancy.com.  Lots of workouts that I would use if I was a beginner. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that you should stick to what you know since you just started working out. I do LOTS of yoga/stretching, which feels great. I was also doing some weight lifting and light cardio, but now that I am 30 weeks I've had to slow down a bit. I still have one workout DVD for expectant moms that I'm hoping to be able to do throughout the rest of the pregnancy. It's low impact and has some great stretches in it as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not pregnant, but I would definitely keep up with walking, yoga/stretching, and any weights you can do (especially arms/back).  Good luck!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I don't "love" any exercise, but I like doing Jillian Michaels DVDs because they burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time. I would do them up until 5mo pregnant (just do them at your own pace).

But really, keeeeeep walking! Do more than just yoga.I gained 50lbs with my pregnancy and I TOTALLY regret it. I only have 5 more lbs to lose, but my stomach is saggy now and I'm sad. lol. 

Do your best, it's hard! :o)

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
    DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

• Options
    I'll def. look into getting some small weights (we only have my hubby's and they're heavy) and water aerobics. I can't wait to open my pool and start swimming again
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"