Parenting after 35
Options

s/o naked posts...language for genitals

Someone commented in one of the naked posts about how using proper terminology for body parts is better than vajayjay etc. Which I completely get as a concept and generally I'm very relaxed about discussing the technical aspects of our bodies/sex etc etc

Oddly I'm completely ok with the word vagina, but a bit wobbly using the word vulva (I have no explanation for this). I know technically that the vulva is the external part of the genitals, where the vagina is the internal. 

With my 3 yr old we haven't had cause to discuss or comment on vaginas. We've only needed to talk about the vulva area, mostly in terms of washing ourselves in the shower.

So do you say, "wash your bottom" as an all-encompassing term, "wash your vulva and bottom" "wash the front of your bottom"? or something else entirely.

I would never say buttocks rather than bottom because it just feels too clinical. But do other people say buttocks?

I suppose I'm just curious about how "proper" people are with their language. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: s/o naked posts...language for genitals

• Options
    mwdmwd member

Good post, as I was wondering the same thing.  For DS we used penis and bottom, as we always have.  As we are planning on starting on pottytraining for DS this summer, we could "wipe front to back", but I think we should be consistent and use vagina.   We don't use buttocks, as DS uses butt, but it is discouraged.  I agree, vulva, no. 

And Happy Birthday to your big girl!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I use Ureatha, Vagina (not sure why not vulva) and anus (DH has a huge problem with that one) so we could differentiate her areas.  She has had a bladder infection and a yeast infection and it just helps to know exactly where it hurts.  

however, when she is talking to us in general Terms, it's "wipe my butt or vagina".  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

So call me old fashioned, but at this age, I think it's kinda weird to hear a little kid using such clinical terminology. 

I'm perfectly fine with Peepee and Bottom right now.  When he's older we can get into the specifics. 

• Options

See, I really do not understand why people get the heebeejeebies by using anontomically correct words and terms.  Why would saying Penis be any worse then saying PeePee?  

I mean, do you use baby talk with or dumbed down words for anything else?

I have always called my breasts, breasts.  When DD asks about them (usually in comparison to hers) I call the. Breasts.  So color me pleasantly surprised/proud when my 3 yo and I had a long conversation about Chicken Breasts, (I was cutting up a couple breasts for dinner), their lack of nipples, and chicken and the egg. That lead to cows milk and finally ended on the fact that its a good thing chickens don't breast feed becuase the feathers would get in the way.

i can honestly say that my daughter would never have had that early science, circle of life conversation if we called her breasts boobies or something equally as  cliche.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    I completely agree, we never used the clinical terms with my 3 older kids,now 15,13,and 11 and they didnt suffer any setbacks because of it, I do not plan on it with my two younger ones either.
  • Options
    It makes me very uncomforable to hear small children say the clinical terms. Sorry but I much prefer butt, private, peepee, boobs, whatever. But hey, each to his own.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I was going to use penis and bottom/tushie (I never use buttocks, personally) but my DH called it a "wiener" and now DS used wiener.

I still use penis and tell him to "tuck your penis down" when he pees seated. When he asked me what I have, I said a vagina. I've never said vulva even though it's technically correct.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    My girls are almost 5 and 6 1/2 years and we say vagina and butt or bootie as my girls call it.  I don't think you need to be any more technical about it unless there is a specific issue that you are discussing.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

For both my kids (a son and daughter) right from the beginning the parts are; breasts (or boobs), vagina, vulva, penis, scrotum (which contain the testicles) and bum. 

As well, We answer any and all questions honestly and age appropriate, so when DD at 4 years old noticed I was bleeding from my vagina during a shared shower, she was told why.  When DS gets to an age of questioning, he will be given accurate info as well. (he is only 2 months)

My mother had us calling our parts boobies (although never speak of them when anyone could hear) and bum (for the rear) and "front bum" for anything frontal.  I didn't know the proper names for parts until around 12 years old. I vowed to always teach body parts properly.  

• Options

I've said 'penis' a few times, but as I'm basically like a 12 year old I usually say something like 'willie' or 'peepee.' I haven't yet had the opportunity or inclination to discuss lady parts with him.

*hangs head in shame*

• Options
    imagestever:

I've said 'penis' a few times, but as I'm basically like a 12 year old I usually say something like 'willie' or 'peepee.' I haven't yet had the opportunity or inclination to discuss lady parts with him.

*hangs head in shame*

No worries there, Stever... C has discovered that my bra is "pokey."  Yeah, tell me about it, boy.    And he's gleefully convinced that if he pees in the toilet, his peepee is going to "shoot mommy in the eye."  I have no idea where that came from.

• Options

I say penis and tushy with DS.  While I'm mostly in favor of using proper terminology, I don't see myself forcing it when I just don't speak that way.  For example, I don't think I will ever say "bowel movements" with DS.  It's poopy or poo poo...and will likely evolve to some sort of slang when he's older.

In general though, I also use slang when referring to my own body parts...not because I'm embarrassed, but because it's just how I am accustomed to speaking.  I kind of have to remind myself to speak "properly" at the doctor's office.  But really, I do think it's funny when the OB GYN says, "intercourse"  Who says that?  Just say sex! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageStrunella:

I say penis and tushy with DS.  While I'm mostly in favor of using proper terminology, I don't see myself forcing it when I just don't speak that way.  For example, I don't think I will ever say "bowel movements" with DS.  It's poopy or poo poo...and will likely evolve to some sort of slang when he's older.

In general though, I also use slang when referring to my own body parts...not because I'm embarrassed, but because it's just how I am accustomed to speaking.  I kind of have to remind myself to speak "properly" at the doctor's office.  But really, I do think it's funny when the OB GYN says, "intercourse"  Who says that?  Just say sex! 

That would have been a better way to put it. I'm not embarassed. I can say penis or vagina without giggling I just don't often say those words.
  • Options

HI call his butt his bottom. It means the whole thing to him right now. 

I also call his penis just that. I haven't talked about his testicles or anything- he does know the penis is actually the penis but when he washes "his penis" he washes everything, including his testicles and the space where they meet his thighs (if that makes sense).

I HTH! 

• Options

Wow, great conversation. I never really thought about any of this and suppose I should have this discussion with my husband.

Growing up we were just taught our bottoms and privates. I guess we'll see what my husband thinks.

• Options
    DS is pretty young still but we use the terms "butt" and "peepee". This gets me thinking though that maybe I should start using different words.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Considering that I work in healthcare, oddly I haven't spent a great deal of thought on this subject. When my kids were young, they came up with their own names for their body parts. Now that they are 6 & almost 8yo, they know clinical terms and sometimes they use them and sometimes they do not. It isn't really an issue, since they don't really have reason to refer to any of their body parts in public.

I have no worries that they will enter high school saying "pee pee". Wink

• Options

I'll only have boys, and I already call his frontal lower appendage his penis, as in "wash your penis" when he is in the tub, and I call his backside his butt.  Gas is farts or burps (depending on which end they come out of, naturally), and we use the terms poop and peepee for his waste.  My husband calls my breasts "boobs" or "boobies" so that is what Will hears.  He didn't nurse (wouldn't latch) so I didn't really have to tell him what they are called. 

When I was little, my nana called a vulva a rosebud, so I called it that and I do not think it did any harm to me at all.  Even though vulva (or vagina) is a scientific name, to me there is something kind of startling (? not sure if that is the word I want to use, but it takes me aback for a minute) about a kid talking about her vulva in public.

Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageIlumine:

See, I really do not understand why people get the heebeejeebies by using anontomically correct words and terms.  Why would saying Penis be any worse then saying PeePee?  

I mean, do you use baby talk with or dumbed down words for anything else?

I have always called my breasts, breasts.  When DD asks about them (usually in comparison to hers) I call the. Breasts.  So color me pleasantly surprised/proud when my 3 yo and I had a long conversation about Chicken Breasts, (I was cutting up a couple breasts for dinner), their lack of nipples, and chicken and the egg. That lead to cows milk and finally ended on the fact that its a good thing chickens don't breast feed becuase the feathers would get in the way.

i can honestly say that my daughter would never have had that early science, circle of life conversation if we called her breasts boobies or something equally as  cliche.

That made me giggle. Vagina seems like such a grown-up word to me. I don't use it even now, not unless I specifically need to refer to my lady parts (see?) and there are so few opportunities for that, really. My mom never used baby words with us girls but I still somehow find it uncomfortable.

Strangely, I am ok with penis, although I think we will stick with peepee and bum for a while. DS is 5 months old so this is hardly an issue for us yet. DH is going to be a problem though, I think. His mother not only used baby words for body parts, she made up her own words that mean nothing to anyone else. So when we are giving DS a bath, he says "ok mommy is gonna wash your weeshie now" ... wtf is a weeshie? And even when he discusses breastfeeding he usually resorts to "breasticles" or sometimes, "the sac." Thankfully he no longer calls them titties. Good God, that drove me batty!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"