C-sections
Options

Delayed cord clamping?

Has anyone had this done -- or will request this? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Delayed cord clamping?

• Options
    I've never heard of this. What's the reasoning behind this request?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Yes, we had it done with our 2nd c-section on Dec 11.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageXcrisscrossX:
    I've never heard of this. What's the reasoning behind this request?

So that your baby gets all of his blood!  I did not with my c/s because they were in a super duper big hurry for some reason.  It doesn't hurt to ask though. It is becoming much more common. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I was told that they couldn't do this with a csection but maybe some doctors do.
    1 Baby Girl 12/28/12 
    #2 due 11/28/14
    2 Angel Babies 9/11, 2/12

• Options
    I had an ergency csection after transfer from a birth cebter i asked but they wouldn't let me delay, said it is major surgery and they wouldn't allow me to be open longer. I did ask to donate the cord blood however, and they let me do that instead.
  • Options

It also comes with increased risk of developing jaundice. Some of our OBs will allow this, our pediatricians advise against it.

• Options
    imageMrsbtobe2012:

It also comes with increased risk of developing jaundice. Some of our OBs will allow this, our pediatricians advise against it.

Meh. If they understood the reason for it increasing the risk of jaundice (the fact that there is more blood to create bilirubin and not all jaundice is dangerous) they wouldn't advise against it. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Yes, we had this done in August during our unplanned section. As long as everyone is doing ok during surgery, my OB said it was always an option..
  • Options
    I asked my OB about this and removing the baby so the lungs get squeezed of fluid.  I was so relieved to hear that he takes his time unlike some doctors who think they need to hurry (his words).  He says he cuts the incision smaller so the baby slowly comes out and though he doesn't do delayed cord clamping, he doesn't cut the cord right away, either.  So for me, it was like a compromise.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageateach:
    I was told that they couldn't do this with a csection but maybe some doctors do.

I was told this also....

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"