Health & Exercise
Options

Postpartum ab exercises?

I gave birth almost a year ago and my abs are still stretched, despite the fact that I worked out with a personal trainer prior to and during pregnancy, and have exclusively breastfed.  My doctor said that some people are just genetically predisposed to the muscles not bouncing right back.  He said I will need surgery to tighten everything up, but in the meantime to start excersing to help things along.  I read that crunches are NOT good for this sort of thing, that they can make the situation worse, but rather to do more pilates type of toning exercises.  Does anyone have any insights or comments for what kinds of exercises are best? 
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Postpartum ab exercises?

• Options

Did you check to see if you have diastasis (separation of abs)? I had it with my first and went to rehab to correct it. I've also done a decent amount of research as I'm trying to prevent it with my third.  From what I've read it seems that doctors tend to lean more towards recommending surgery while most pts will recommend correcting it with exercise.  It all depends on the severity as well.

I'd recommend finding a pt in your area who can check to see what's going on and show you the way to correctly do the exercises. It's sort of a catch 22 situation because you need to strengthen your abs without straining them to the point that you make the separation worse. But I've been told not to do anything that will cause your belly to pooch out. So usually no planks (only on knees) and not doing full situps, but rather crunches only to the point you aren't straining the separation. There are a ton of good resources online about diastasis and how to correct it with post partum ab work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with pp- you might have diastasis recti.  Lindsay Brin has DVDs and some youtube videos that address work outs for women with this condition.  She is amazing!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bounce Back Fast is the name of a DVD that is supposed to address this. I forget the name of the woman who puts it together but she has a whole website to.
  • Options

Here's the website: https://www.befitmom.com/about.html 

Sorry the link isn't working. Darn computer won't give me that option 

• Options
    i like tracy anderson post preg work out
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"