Natural Birth
Options

Wwyd??

First, I'll explain my labor with Ds. I was dilated to 6.5cm and 100% the morning I went into labor at 39w1d. I only knew it was labor bc I had a slow leak in my water and was sent directly to L&D. I drove myself, parked my car, and walked into the hospital with no pain, but BH type contractions. After my water was broken at 8cm, my lil guy was ready to come out in a matter of a couple contractions. (Extremely painful ones might I add.) 

So this time we are planning a HB. I've already had a CS scare at 39w when baby flipped breech. Thankfully, we had a successful version. I might have waited to try more natural techniques to get baby to flip, but I was already dilated to 5cm and was worried labor was imminent. Now I'm 41w1d and facing an induction at 42w if nothing happens before. I'm 7-8cm, 90% effaced, and baby is at station 0, head down. Minor contractions, but nothing painful. I've had 2 sweeps, acupuncture, and an inducing massage in the last week. And I'm currently downing pineapple :)

My MWs have offered to come to my house to break my "bulging bag" to get labor started, but I'm not sure that's the best idea.  I feel like we chose a HB to avoid unnecessary interventions in the 1st place! But also, after my water broke with Ds, things got SUPER intense and I'm scared of going from zero to 60 if you know what I mean. My MWs think I'm a great candidate for breaking my bag though and feel that it's a good choice if I decide to go ahead with it.

On the other hand, I feel like a prisoner in my own home. I'm scared to leave in case my water breaks on its own and I'm stuck having a baby at the grocer or something! I'm also terrified of being home alone with my Ds and having the baby without assistance...  

So, what would you do? Hope for labor to start on its own? Or have your MWs induce by breaking your bag? Dh took today off bc I'm feeling so vulnerable, but he works in the city 45mins away. Monday I will be home alone again all week. 

Thanks for reading :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller

Re: Wwyd??

• Options
    First I have to say I'm glad your version was successful! I know you were worried she flipped back.

If I were in your shoes, I'd give it the weekend and then have them break my water. I had a fast labor with DS and was terrified of birthing unassisted this time, so I would avoid being alone, especially given how dialated you are. If your bag is bulging now, it probably will happen quickly when it breaks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Options

I'd get everything ready and then have your MWs come and break your water.

With #2 I was 9.5cm, 100% effaced, and ready to deliver when I got to the hospital, but my water hadn't broken.  While I was being rushed from triage to a delivery room, the nurse explained that the doctor was going to suggest breaking my water.  My initial reaction was to say no, but both the doctor and nurse basically assured me that AROM was just moving along the inevitable - the baby was ready and he was on his way out.

My body was 1000% telling me to push him out, so I agreed.  The OB broke my water and DS was born just a few minutes and a couple pushes later.

I think if your MWs think you're a good candidate and will still be able to have your HB, then I'd do it.  Also, I went from 4cm dilated and zero contractions to transition to baby in 78 minutes, so I think your concerns about things going very quickly are totally valid.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd probably set up a date with the midwives to break my water for 41w 5d. It's a pretty minor intervention at this point, and I suspect a fast and furious labour is in your future no matter how it starts.
  • Options
    I say if you hit 41 weeks have them break your water. That may be the only thing keeping you from progressing and sometimes it just doesn't want to break on it's on.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Options
    The only person I have ever known that was in this situation opted to have her water broken. She had a baby in her arms 45min later.

Do what you feel most comfortable with. If I were in your situation I would have them break my water. With how your first birth went I would be afraid of being one of those people whose water breaks and the baby practically falls out. I have a fear of unplanned unassisted birth so that would be the weighing factor in my decision. This way you get to make sure everything is in place and everyone is there and accounted for.

Good luck with everything! Either way you will soon have a baby in your arms!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with pp that it seems a fast and furious delivery is in your future. Having the mw rupture your MW will give you some certainty and eliminate the risk of an unplanned unassisted birth.

I had an unplanned unassisted birth and it was pretty stressful, on top of the general stress of childbirth, I spent a chunk of time thinking, "Oh my god, I am ACTUALLY having my baby on my bathroom floor" 

How far away is your MW if you went into labour on your own? Do you have nearby childcare options like a neighbour? 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

I know you've got to be frustrated to be overdue but I would hang on a little longer.

Although it can be a good indicator of how your first birth went as to how this one will go, it really can be the opposite. My first two births were totally different and every mom I've talked to IRL (some with 10+ kids) have expressed this as well.

If it was me, I would wait a little longer and try to avoid AROM since there are more complications when you start down this path - the cord coming down before the head, infection and I know for me once the water broke it was intensely more painful.

If you can, hang in there and maybe by Monday you'll have a baby in your arms without having to make any more decisions.

"If you find a mate in life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful."
    SAHM to two sweet girls, both born at home; Baby #3 in 2013!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageKateLouise:

I agree with pp that it seems a fast and furious delivery is in your future. Having the mw rupture your MW will give you some certainty and eliminate the risk of an unplanned unassisted birth.

I had an unplanned unassisted birth and it was pretty stressful, on top of the general stress of childbirth, I spent a chunk of time thinking, "Oh my god, I am ACTUALLY having my baby on my bathroom floor" 

How far away is your MW if you went into labour on your own? Do you have nearby childcare options like a neighbour? 

This is my main reason for considering AROM in the first place. My MW is about 30-45 mins away through Chicago traffic. I do have a neighbor who would take Ds in an emergency if needed and plenty of family who live close by too thankfully. I'm scared of having her unassisted and alone with a 2yo. I remember reading your birth story! Very intense!! 

I think I will give myself the weekend to see what happens, since I will have my H at home at least... But, like PP mentioned, my Sil had an emergency CS after AROM at 7cm and a prolapsed cord. That definitely sticks in my head too. I'm just trying to weigh my risks on either side, which is hard to do when you're so close to holding your baby!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    imageLaurelBee:
    imageKateLouise:

This is my main reason for considering AROM in the first place. My MW is about 30-45 mins away through Chicago traffic. I do have a neighbor who would take Ds in an emergency if needed and plenty of family who live close by too thankfully. I'm scared of having her unassisted and alone with a 2yo. I remember reading your birth story! Very intense!! 

I think I will give myself the weekend to see what happens, since I will have my H at home at least... But, like PP mentioned, my Sil had an emergency CS after AROM at 7cm and a prolapsed cord. That definitely sticks in my head too. I'm just trying to weigh my risks on either side, which is hard to do when you're so close to holding your baby!

I didn't know a prolapsed cord was a risk of AROM, although it makes sense now I think of it. 

That definitely puts things in a different light for me. I'd be inclined to wait because as stressful as the unassisted birth was, it's not the worst thing that could happen. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I say let them break your water. If it breaks on it's own in the next few days you're still likely to have that super fast, 0 to 60 labor either way so that's not a reason to avoid having it done imo. I know how you feel about interventions. But sometimes they're necessary. Despite having my GD under control and doing everything in my power to avoid them, I ended up induced Tuesday. I was sitting at 6cm, 90% effaced and not in labor. At my appt my BP was high, it had been borderline for weeks. I opted for pitocin over them breaking my water, since AROM puts you on a timetable and I didn't want that. When I hit 8cm and was feeling that urge to push they broke my water and literally 1 contraction later was at 10cm and 25 mins had my daughter in my arms. I understand not wanting that fast labor. I was basically not in labor and then kicked into transition, it's not fun! 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"