Eco-Friendly Family

Placentophagy (also posted on AP Board)

I posted this on my birth month board, and they thought you guys might be able to provide me with more insight. My yoga instructor has been going on and on about Placentophagy. Has anyone done this? I'm very organic but not quite so granola that this ever occured to me with DD. On the one hand, I think it's interesting and the benefits sound great, especially considering I had such a hard time nursing last time. On the other hand, it's kinda gross.

What do you guys think? Any personal experience would be appreciated!

https://www.newyorkfamily.com/a-side-of-placenta-anyone/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Placentophagy (also posted on AP Board)

• I don't know what to said about human placenta,but I remember my mom used to eat it and make us eat it when I was a kid,but it was from a caw not for a human placenta.I remember she said that will be good for anemia and for as to grow healthy,I remember she give to my older sister after she give birth to my nice,to help her recovery because she lost a lot of blood,

but I think if you are healthy is not point on doing it.their other options that you can take for not get dipressed after birth,also if you are practising yoga  is not nessesary to take it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • you may me think about my chilhood,and how smart old people were because they always give me to eat a lot of crap that I never tough will be good for me or not,I just never like it or I always refuse everything but they always may me to eat it,and know I see all the benefits that is has on me,seriosly my mom and grandma were amazing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagezaraceligon:

but I think if you are healthy is not point on doing it.their other options that you can take for not get dipressed after birth,also if you are practising yoga  is not nessesary to take it. 

I think this is a short sighted and ignorant comment.  You are suggesting that a healthy woman that does yoga won't have depression after the birth of their child.  Or to say another way, only an unhealthy woman who doesn't practice yoga will get postpartum depression.  Many women of all lifestyles get pp depression and it can be quite serious.

I did not ingest placenta from either of my children but had I had a history of depression then I would certainly try anything to help guard against it after the birth.  I'd be inclined to try the more natural methods, such as this, before I turned to drugs.  

I know many women who have done this and I applaud them for making the choice that they felt was right for them despite such negative views from those around them.  

• If you're looking for more information or first hand experiences, you might try the Natural Birth board.  I know quite a few women that frequent that board have done it or are planning it. 
  • imageArmyQM:
    If you're looking for more information or first hand experiences, you might try the Natural Birth board.  I know quite a few women that frequent that board have done it or are planning it. 

Thanks!

• I wanted to do it but DH was not on board and I didn't know anyone at the time who could do it...I do now of course!  I'm curious also, to hear of actual experiences on here since I had seen a lot of pregnant women planning on it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageArmyQM:
    imagezaraceligon:

I think this is a short sighted and ignorant comment.  You are suggesting that a healthy woman that does yoga won't have depression after the birth of their child.  Or to say another way, only an unhealthy woman who doesn't practice yoga will get postpartum depression.  Many women of all lifestyles get pp depression and it can be quite serious.

I did not ingest placenta from either of my children but had I had a history of depression then I would certainly try anything to help guard against it after the birth.  I'd be inclined to try the more natural methods, such as this, before I turned to drugs.  

I know many women who have done this and I applaud them for making the choice that they felt was right for them despite such negative views from those around them.  

And I'm proud of this board for being grownups. 

If this had been posted on a tri board or a month board, she would have been attacked like a pack of lions on a lame baby gazelle!

• I really want to do this if I get a next time! I think it is a great idea!!
  • What's the science behind it?  I've heard of it, but don't know much...is it an anemia based logic for it?  I did have to take iron supplements after dd was born....

If anything I felt a high after birth and for weeks after delivery, like my life was more complete....but several moms I know had severe ssues with post partum depression and post partum stress disorder from difficult deliveries.

Is there any documentation of it helping, studies and research, or is it anecdotal based?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am seriously considering placental encapsulation with #2. It took me a little while to think about the human placenta in a different light - I finally chalked it up to being like a chicken liver and GOSH do I love fried chicken livers!

There are loads of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals found in the human placenta. It is especially high in iron. It can definitely help boost milk production and keep PP baby blues and depression from setting in. I am really looking forward to seeing a much better outcome this time around. While I had depression after giving birth last time, it was not related to the actual birth. I am hoping I can steer clear of anything of the sort this time, though!  

• I am still fuming about my experience after the birth of my 1st. Weeks before the birth I told my OB I wanted to keep the placenta for personal reasons. Ok, no problem. Then, at the hospital I reiterated this request to every staff member who was in charge of my care. Several ignorantly insisted that this was against the law, a few told me it was gross and flatly refused to do it. They threw it out against my will and I haven't gotten over it to this day.

Moral being, make sure you have a clearly understood record of your request and get the hospital or birthing center to agree in writing ahead of time to save the placenta for you. 

• imagehappywife2b:

I am still fuming about my experience after the birth of my 1st. Weeks before the birth I told my OB I wanted to keep the placenta for personal reasons. Ok, no problem. Then, at the hospital I reiterated this request to every staff member who was in charge of my care. Several ignorantly insisted that this was against the law, a few told me it was gross and flatly refused to do it. They threw it out against my will and I haven't gotten over it to this day.

Moral being, make sure you have a clearly understood record of your request and get the hospital or birthing center to agree in writing ahead of time to save the placenta for you. 

So sorry about that!  It's YOUR body part.  What a ridiculous notion.  I would have had my husband yank it and run, haha! 

• imagehappywife2b:

I am still fuming about my experience after the birth of my 1st. Weeks before the birth I told my OB I wanted to keep the placenta for personal reasons. Ok, no problem. Then, at the hospital I reiterated this request to every staff member who was in charge of my care. Several ignorantly insisted that this was against the law, a few told me it was gross and flatly refused to do it. They threw it out against my will and I haven't gotten over it to this day.

I think I'd have to file a formal complaint if I felt this strongly (and I probably would) about it.  It's flat out unacceptable that anyone should be able to let their own feelings about it to influence how/what a patient does or gets to do. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"