Natural Birth
Options

What size birthing ball?

I keep reading different things and I'm all confused. I'm 5'4, and I've read that based on my height I should get a 55cm or 60cm, but then I've read that women under 5'10 should get a 65cm. Nobody seems to have the same or conclusive information. Any suggestions? I know how it is supposed to work, being able to sit on it at a 90* angle, but there is no where for me to try one out and I'd most likely end up ordering it online since they are way cheaper. I'd love some advice!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What size birthing ball?

• Options

I'm a little under 5 foot and I went with the 55cm. Everything I read suggested that size for my height. I originally purchased it for prenatal work outs.

I know that for me the 65cm would be too big to be comfortable. Maybe a 60cm would work best for you?

January 2016 FB Group. 
    Friend this dummy account: http://on.fb.me/1d1Y5FN 
    Send a message saying you want in and I'll add you! 
    Feel Free to unfriend once you're added. 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 5'4" and I bought a 55cm. I find that I still have a 90 degree angle and I think it's comfortable to sit on. Now if you're all legs you might find you want the 65.
    BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

5'10" and I got the biggest one they had, so I guess that was the 65.  I tried the smaller one (freebie from my sis) but it just felt wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean about it being cheaper online.  I got a clear one at Walmart for $10.  Then again, that was 3 years ago!  I mean sure, I could've paid $20 for a blue one but who cares?  :-p

• Options

Maybe I need to check again then! Thanks for the advice. =) 

I actually think there is a bigger one, a 75cm one that they recommend for really tall women.

I just wish stores would have them blown up so you could sit on them and see! Wonder if a gym will let me walk in and just test them without a membership? haha 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 5'2" and the 55 cm ball did not keep my knees below or level with my hips. They were slightly above, so I got the 65 cm and inflated it to 60 cm and it is perfect. I am still easily able to keep my feet flat on the floor and my knees are slightly below my hips as they should be for optimal fetal positioning. :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    If you want to try them, you could see if your midwife/birthing center will let you come in and sit.  You could also get in touch with La Leche League, I know I really liked going to their meetings before I gave birth and you will get a lot of advice there!  (But you don't have to take all of it!)
  • Options
    I just tried a small one and a big one at birth prep class. I'm only 5'0" and I thought the bigger one was pretty comfy. Sorry I don't know what they were in cm but I think I would opt for slightly bigger than smaller.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Options

I am 5'2" and just got a ball last weekend at [nickname for Richard]'s Sporting Goods. I got the 55 cm one. The side of the box recommends 55cm for 4'11" to 5'5", 65cm for 5'6" to 5'11", and 75 cm for 6'0" to 6'6".

ETA: I had to edit because I can't write D***'s! 

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"