Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

How you might feel (physically) post D&C

Hi ladies,

I'm one week post-D&C today and have been scrambling to look up some of my post-op side-effects to make sure they're normal.  I love my doctor, but wasn't prepared for some of this so I thought some of you might find this handy.  I won't tell you how you might feel emotionally - you're likely to be all over the map.

Physically, though, here's what I've experienced since last Wednesday:

-Went in to D&C on two nights of no sleep and a horrible migraine

-Woke up from D&C with post-migraine euphoria.  Actually felt wonderful, physically.  Ate waffles, took a nap, had a caring friend visit that afternoon.

-First full-night sleep that night, after a week of horrible, horrible sleep due to the emotional stress of knowing we were losing the baby.

-Felt absolutely 100% physically fine on Thursday (day after).  STAYED HOME ANYWAY.  Allow yourself at least one day post-op. 

-Felt 100% fine on Friday - went to work.  NOW WISH I HADN'T.  Not emotionally ready and I was exhausted by the end of the day. And I sit at a desk.  Also, people kept asking where I'd been - was it something fun, etc.  If I'd stayed home on Friday, they would have forgotten I was even out by the time Monday rolled around.

-Some very slight cramping during these first 2 days - barely noticeable but used a heating pad anyway because, well, they feel nice.

-Also very little bleeding for first two days post-surgery.  Almost nothing.

This is when things started to change

-Saturday (three days post-op) woke up with stronger cramps, uncomfortable bloating, heavier (not alarming, but definitely increased) bleeding.  Was able to go for a long walk to help with cramps.

-Sunday. OH MY DOG THE BLOATING.  So uncomfortable.  Why was this not brought up prior to surgery? 

-WEIGHT GAIN - I know I ate some feelings the week before the surgery, but not 5lbs worth.  You may experience some weight gain / water retention in the days immediately following.  My face is swollen, my stomach feels very distended.  A little TMI, but it feels like you really have to have a bm, but then you don't feel any better after you do.  Also?  Your bms may be a little uncomfortable and you may notice a lack of strength in those muscles. 

At one week post-op, I feel like I'm having my worst bloating so far today.  I look bigger than I did while I was pregnant, and feel very "full."  After Googling quite a bit, I realize now this is normal, but sure wish someone had given me a heads-up. 

I have been exercising since Saturday's long walk.  Nothing major, but the activity feels good.  My doctor said it was absolutely fine - just listen to my body.  Mine is telling me to move.  Don't do anything that doesn't feel right.  If you need to walk, walk.  If you need to sleep for 3 days, DO IT.  As someone else on this board wisely pointed out, just because you don't have stitches doesn't mean you didn't have surgery.  Listen to and respect your body. 

-Oh, and headaches.  Don't be surprised if you get quite a few of them in the days following.  Apparently also very common. 

Re: How you might feel (physically) post D&C

• imageTeamdkkd:

-WEIGHT GAIN - I know I ate some feelings the week before the surgery, but not 5lbs worth.  You may experience some weight gain / water retention in the days immediately following.  My face is swollen, my stomach feels very distended.  A little TMI, but it feels like you really have to have a bm, but then you don't feel any better after you do.  Also?  Your bms may be a little uncomfortable and you may notice a lack of strength in those muscles. 

-Oh, and headaches.  Don't be surprised if you get quite a few of them in the days following.  Apparently also very common. 

I had both of these symptoms and I had a natural miscarriage. The headaches were horrible and started about a week after the miscarriage and lasted about 10 days. The weight gain/bloating was insane for me--16 pounds! This was over about a three week period, during the holidays, and I was grief eating, but my goodness, it was crazy! Thankfully, the weight started to come back down over the past week--I'm down 6 pounds and will hopefully keep going in the right direction in the coming weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 37--Thyroid Cancer survivor. H:38. DS born 6/22/2011; BFP#2--11/5/12--Missed miscarriage discovered 12/21/2012.  BFP#3--5/20/14--another MMC 6/16/14.
  • Yikes!  16 lbs!!  I think I topped out at 6, and have now lost it since Sunday.  THANK GOD.  Honestly, it's a tremendous relief.  I finally feel somewhat normal physically, and that's helping my mental / emotional state quite a bit.  Someone on another board suggested eating watermelon, so I did (I hate watermelon but was willing to give it a try) and I honestly think it helped. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Very good to know...thank you for sharing.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"