December 2011 Moms
Options

XP, NBR: Bad Influences

XP from Working Moms

I'm having a difficult time dealing with bad influences from my DH.  His eating habits are so bad and it's hard not to let that influence me.  If it weren't for my DH, I would almost never eat ice cream, french fries, fast food, or the like (I know this for sure because I almost never ate junk food before we lived together).  The topic of dessert is especially a sticking point.  I've talked to him countless times about the fact that we have dessert almost every night.  I feel like that's something that should only happen rarely, maybe on weekends or something.  He's usually really great with compromise, but he just won't budge on this one topic.  I asked him how he would feel about LO eating dessert every night when she's older and he said he didn't think that was an issue.  He grew up eating dessert every night.

I guess I just need to have better self control and not indulge when he brings home junk food (which is every week).  My biggest issue though is him instilling those bad eating habits in LO.  If she sees him eating this junk food all the time instead of as a special treat, she may think it's normal and ok.

Anyways, how do you deal with bad influences from your DH/SO?  Not necessarily food related... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP, NBR: Bad Influences

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    -T--T- member

We struggle with negatively influencing each other a lot. I am the one with poor eating habits. DH comes home and watches TV pretty much the whole night. He also swears a lot and that rubs of on me.

I have been trying to do my own thing a little more. Just because he's watching TV doesn't mean I have to, and just because I'm eating junk food doesn't mean he has to. I know it's hard to do separate things, but I'm learning that in order for me to feel fulfilled at night, I have to get stuff done around the house while he's relaxing.

Growing up, we had fruit for desert. It's kind of cheating, but it worked. My mom would cut up strawberries and throw in some sugar, that was our desert. Maybe that's something he would go for? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Think of it like a rubber band... the more you try to pull him away the more resistence you're going to get before it snaps back and desserts become bigger than before... 

IMO, I looked at families I know that had skinny kids/families...  Every one of them had desserts/treats around ALL the time!  If it's there, they end up eating less of it than if you say "oh, you can't have this ooey gooey piece of mouth watering delishiousness" that makes you eat 5x as much when you finally get ahold of it.  DH's family always had a "treat" at the end of not every, but most meals, and no weight problems there!  It's about teaching portion control, not person control!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Can you compromise by sharing dessert or eating smaller portions of his favorite foods?

DH's issue is TV.  He's not as good at getting LO to sleep at night, so if I'm not home at night, he tends to let LO fall asleep on his lap while they watch TV.  Since it's usually once a week or less, I let it go for now.  Not sure what I would do if it happened more often though. 

• Options
    Lol!! I didnt read everyone's responses but this makes me laugh cause my dh is naturally very very thin so he eats anytime and anything he want. Me in the other hand come from what you would call sturdy stalk! So he says i will support you eating healthy and blah blah we will do it together. He lasts about 1 day then says i need bread and butter with dinner. Where is the gravy for the mash potatos.. there isnt much hope i just have to put on cloths that are to tight and remind myself this is why i can't eat like him.
  • Options
    imageMesmrEwe:

Think of it like a rubber band... the more you try to pull him away the more resistence you're going to get before it snaps back and desserts become bigger than before... 

IMO, I looked at families I know that had skinny kids/families...  Every one of them had desserts/treats around ALL the time!  If it's there, they end up eating less of it than if you say "oh, you can't have this ooey gooey piece of mouth watering delishiousness" that makes you eat 5x as much when you finally get ahold of it.  DH's family always had a "treat" at the end of not every, but most meals, and no weight problems there!  It's about teaching portion control, not person control!!!!

I agree with this.  That's how I was raised.  We never had treats. Ever.  And then I would chow down whenever I had sweets infront of me and I was not under the watchful eye of my mother.  It was hard for me to learn how to eat right when I first lived on my own.  So, I'm not saying I don't want LO to have treats ever.  I just don't think that every night is appropriate either.

• Options
    image-T-:

We struggle with negatively influencing each other a lot. I am the one with poor eating habits. DH comes home and watches TV pretty much the whole night. He also swears a lot and that rubs of on me.

I have been trying to do my own thing a little more. Just because he's watching TV doesn't mean I have to, and just because I'm eating junk food doesn't mean he has to. I know it's hard to do separate things, but I'm learning that in order for me to feel fulfilled at night, I have to get stuff done around the house while he's relaxing.

Growing up, we had fruit for desert. It's kind of cheating, but it worked. My mom would cut up strawberries and throw in some sugar, that was our desert. Maybe that's something he would go for? 

I like that idea and I think he might actually go for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"