June 2012 Moms
Options

My mama report card has an F- on it

I had no idea that you're not supposed to put car seats on top of the shopping cart. I see it all the time, so I thought it was an acceptable practice. I always hold onto it when we're moving or if someone is walking by our buggy so it doesn't slide. Argh. Now I guess I really need to get a move on finishing the shopping cart cover. DS only takes to being worn in the carrier for so long. (Plus he always spits up on my boobs. Blech.)

Re: My mama report card has an F- on it

• Options
    I still did, at least on the carts where it would latch, and I knew you weren't suppose to. I believe my carseat came with instructions not to attach the infant seat to anything other than the travel system stroller. Of course, it totally was compatible with other items, such as my snap n go.

There were some shopping carts where it would totally be unsafe, because it doesn't latch, and I would just put the seat in the main portion of the cart.

I believe these "rules" are set in place because of the lowest common denominators of our society, who cannot recgonize that not all infants seats are compatible with all shopping carts. Common sense isn't always so common.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageArkansasMom22:

The reason why you shouldn't put your infant carrier on a shopping cart is because is affects the center of gravity and makes the cart top heavy. This can cause the cart to tip more easily and cause severe injury or even death to the baby in the infant seat.

The carrier is meant for protection in a car accident, not being flipped upside down on top of a shopping cart. They are actually more likely to sustain serious injury if the cart flips and they are strapped in to an infant carrier than if they were not. I'll be honest, I cringe every time I see someone with an infant seat on a shopping cart because in the town i use to live a baby died when the cart flipped over while they were in their infant carrier latched on to the cart.

this. Plus, latching it on to carts is no guarantee of safety. It may feel secure but it is not and may damage the car seat. If the manual says it is not safe, there is a reason...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSamiantha101:
    I still did, at least on the carts where it would latch, and I knew you weren't suppose to. I believe my carseat came with instructions not to attach the infant seat to anything other than the travel system stroller. Of course, it totally was compatible with other items, such as my snap n go. There were some shopping carts where it would totally be unsafe, because it doesn't latch, and I would just put the seat in the main portion of the cart. I believe these "rules" are set in place because of the lowest common denominators of our society, who cannot recgonize that not all infants seats are compatible with all shopping carts. Common sense isn't always so common.

Thats one of the reasons why it is so dangerous. Yes, it makes the carts top heavy and what ever, but "Latching" it onto something other than the base wears down the latch and can cause it to fail in an accident. 

A few months back a 3 month old baby in my town died after the cart tipped with her in it. The mom didn't have her strapped into the seat properly and she hit her head so hard it killed her instantly. and I STILL see parents doing this, even though that story was ALL over the news here. It makes my blood boil. 
  • Options
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imageSamiantha101:
    I still did, at least on the carts where it would latch, and I knew you weren't suppose to. I believe my carseat came with instructions not to attach the infant seat to anything other than the travel system stroller. Of course, it totally was compatible with other items, such as my snap n go.

There were some shopping carts where it would totally be unsafe, because it doesn't latch, and I would just put the seat in the main portion of the cart.

I believe these "rules" are set in place because of the lowest common denominators of our society, who cannot recgonize that not all infants seats are compatible with all shopping carts. Common sense isn't always so common.

Thats one of the reasons why it is so dangerous. Yes, it makes the carts top heavy and what ever, but "Latching" it onto something other than the base wears down the latch and can cause it to fail in an accident. 

A few months back a 3 month old baby in my town died after the cart tipped with her in it. The mom didn't have her strapped into the seat properly and she hit her head so hard it killed her instantly. and I STILL see parents doing this, even though that story was ALL over the news here. It makes my blood boil. 

Again, common sense needs to be practiced. I still see builtin infant seats in shopping carts. While this makes sure there is no error in the "latching", there's still the possibility of the cart tipping, if not cautious. In my opinion, I think many of these safety regulations are often placed because there are too many idiots reproducing. Maybe I should have saved that comment for FFFC. Oops.
  • Options

Some people are "too wise" to follow rules.

It is not common sense, it is physics... As Alicia said, even with the baby strapped in, the seat latched, it can wear the bottom of the car seat and make it less safe in a collision.

Why take chances?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    UAJ- at least you caught your mistake in time. Everyone makes mistakes...I wouldn't give you an F!! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Don't beat yourself up. I see baby carriers on top of shopping carts all the time and it makes me cringe as well. Now that you know the danger, you won't do it again - and that's what good moms do!
  • Options

I cringe when I see that too, but I also believe a lot of people (like the OP) just don't know because so many others do it.  Don't feel bad.  Now you know.  I didn't know that for awhile with my first child either.  Saw everyone else doing it and thought you were supposed to.  It's like the bumbo seat- does adding a seat belt make them any less likely to tip over off of a table?  No, they're just going to flip over while still strapped in the bumbo.  The shopping cart is similar to me.  Is it going to matter if the cart tips over if an infant seat is clipped into the cart?  Nope, the cart and the seat are both going down.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have never heard of this and I've done it every time. DS's car seat has the notch that fits in the cart, but it doesn't screw with the latch at all. I don't see how the cart would tip unless you're pushing it like an idiot. And who doesn't take their time watch where they're going so they don't run into someone else in the aisle they're turning into or out of? I agree with Sam101...lowest common denominator for sure.
  • Options
    imagejess9802:
    Don't beat yourself up. I see baby carriers on top of shopping carts all the time and it makes me cringe as well. Now that you know the danger, you won't do it again - and that's what good moms do!

Yes
  • Options
    imagegitiggr:
    I have never heard of this and I've done it every time. DS's car seat has the notch that fits in the cart, but it doesn't screw with the latch at all. I don't see how the cart would tip unless you're pushing it like an idiot. And who doesn't take their time watch where they're going so they don't run into someone else in the aisle they're turning into or out of? I agree with Sam101...lowest common denominator for sure.

The baby that died in my town was because there was a dysfunction with the wheel of the cart. One of the cart wheels was screwed up and it locked while she was pushing it, and the whole cart went down. The mom couldn't stop it because it was too heavy. She wasn't "pushing the cart like and idiot." She was simply walking to her car and in less than 5 minutes her 3 month old was DEAD. Does that seriously not warn you enough not to do it? Sounds to me like the lowest common denominator is you in this situation. 
  • Options
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imagegitiggr:

The baby that died in my town was because there was a dysfunction with the wheel of the cart. One of the cart wheels was screwed up and it locked while she was pushing it, and the whole cart went down. The mom couldn't stop it because it was too heavy. She wasn't "pushing the cart like and idiot." She was simply walking to her car and in less than 5 minutes her 3 month old was DEAD. Does that seriously not warn you enough not to do it? Sounds to me like the lowest common denominator is you in this situation. 

Wow that was uncalled for. I'm obviously not the only one who didn't know to not put the car seat on the cart. I've also never heard of babies dying as a result, until you just posted it. I've also never had issues with the wheel other than it taking a lot more force to turn the thing. Of course it's terrible that that happened to anyone, and especially since it was local for you. But that does not give you the right to be a douche to me.
  • Options
    imagegitiggr:
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imagegitiggr:

Wow that was uncalled for. I'm obviously not the only one who didn't know to not put the car seat on the cart. I've also never heard of babies dying as a result, until you just posted it. I've also never had issues with the wheel other than it taking a lot more force to turn the thing. Of course it's terrible that that happened to anyone, and especially since it was local for you. But that does not give you the right to be a douche to me.

I'm sorry but I'm not sorry. I'll be a "douche" to anyone that doesn't take the safety and possible LIFE of their baby seriously. Don't act like an idiot and I won't treat you like one. 
  • Options
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imagegitiggr:
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imagegitiggr:

I'm sorry but I'm not sorry. I'll be a "douche" to anyone that doesn't take the safety and possible LIFE of their baby seriously. Don't act like an idiot and I won't treat you like one. 

Who the hell do you think you are assuming I don't take MY child's life seriously?! Again I'm obviously not the only one on this thread who didn't know this previously. We upgraded to a convertible car seat last week anyway so this whole thing is a nonissue here. Go eff yourself.
  • Options
    imagegitiggr:
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imagegitiggr:
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imagegitiggr:

Who the hell do you think you are assuming I don't take MY child's life seriously?! Again I'm obviously not the only one on this thread who didn't know this previously. We upgraded to a convertible car seat last week anyway so this whole thing is a nonissue here. Go eff yourself.

Ok ok, I'm sorry. I over reacted. It just really sets me off to think that people could KNOW the difference and just not care, especially since that death happened so close to me. I'm sending you a PM k? 
  • Options
    I use to put DS in the big part of the basket or I would wear him in a sling if I remembered to bring it. DS has been sitting in the seat part with a shopping cart cover for over a month now so it's no longer an issue.

Also no one should be calling anyone names. I had NO idea this wasn't safe until I got pregnant and started doing research. I still see people doing it all the time and it's not because they are dumb or don't care about their kids, they generally don't know it's not safe. Especially when places like babies r us have the built in ones. Those are just as bad if not worse.
  • Options
    imageseansgirl2006:

I cringe when I see that too, but I also believe a lot of people (like the OP) just don't know because so many others do it.  Don't feel bad.  Now you know.  I didn't know that for awhile with my first child either.  Saw everyone else doing it and thought you were supposed to.  It's like the bumbo seat- does adding a seat belt make them any less likely to tip over off of a table?  No, they're just going to flip over while still strapped in the bumbo.  The shopping cart is similar to me.  Is it going to matter if the cart tips over if an infant seat is clipped into the cart?  Nope, the cart and the seat are both going down.

totally agree. It makes me cringe when I see people do this. I've witnessed on 2 different occasions an infant seat tipping out and landing on the floor. Thankfully both times the baby was okay. I've also seen infant seats tipping over from upside down highchairs at restaurants. I think people do it b/c they see others doing it. It doesn't make it safe but knowledge is key 

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"