Preemies
Options

UPDATED: And now comes the swelling

So between Sunday 1/13 and Tuesday 1/15, there was no change in Anna's bleeding (level 4 on the right, level 2 on the left). We did a repeat ultrasound last night hoping for good news but unfortunately are left wanting. The bleeding has not started up again, but her ventricles have swollen with spinal fluid at a very rapid rate. She has gone from a ratio of 29% to a ratio of 40%. Her doctor (whom I now call the grim reaper) said that neurosurgery usually wants to begin draining at 45%, but that he wouldn't recommend doing it because combined with her bleeds, her quality of life cold be poor. We are doing a repeat ultrasound on Thursday to see if her brain has figured out how to drain the fluid. I am not ready to make this decision! 

Anyone had experience with swelling, draining, or shunts? 

UPDATE: The ultrasound showed that the swelling has continued at a pretty quick pace. The ratio is now 45% exactly so she is right on the cusp. However, she is not showing any signs of distress from the swelling. Her soft spot is still soft, and she is still doing well on the cpap with oxygen levels around 25 and no apneas or bradys! The neurosurgery NP said that every case is different and they treat the pressure the swelling causes, not just the swelling, so we are still in wait and see mode. We may do another ultrasound or MRI on Monday. I'm relieved that we are not at an immediate decision point, today.

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15

Re: UPDATED: And now comes the swelling

• Options

I dont have any personal experience with this but I came across a fb page the other day for a baby with a grade 3/4 bleed and hydrocephalus.  Saving Super Nova .  It may be worth checking out her page and/or contacting the mom via fb.  

Have you been able to speak with the neurosurgeon yet?  

Thinking about you and your sweet girl.   

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    Oh sweetie I am so sorry to hear this news. I have a friend with 25 weekers who had ivh and hydrocephalus. Her blog is called hydro babies. I can't link it cause I'm on my phone. But I bet she would be more than happy to talk to you. Hugs and prayers for Anna.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Both my sons had grade 34 bleeds and both were diagnosed with hydrocephalus and shunted during their nicu stay. I'm sorry you are facing this, I know it is very scary especially when the doctors start talking quality of life. Ill be honest, both my sons have their own struggles but today at 16 months old they are happy, healthy and progressing. Aiden is about ready to walk and while Ryan is quite a bit delayed he gets his therapy and is cognitively very much in line with his adjusted age. If you are interested my blog is www.hydrobabies.blogspot.com. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Hugs. Praying for you and your sweet Anna.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagethishappyhouse:

I dont have any personal experience with this but I came across a fb page the other day for a baby with a grade 3/4 bleed and hydrocephalus.  Saving Super Nova .  It may be worth checking out her page and/or contacting the mom via fb.  

Have you been able to speak with the neurosurgeon yet?  

Thinking about you and your sweet girl.   

Thank you, I have seen that page as well and have considered contacting her mother. We haven't spoken with the surgeon yet, just the neurologists, but apparently is the surgeon's call on when draining is needed and it can very from surgeon to surgeon but is generally around 45%.

• Options

imageUsm123:
    You were included in our 2 yr old's prayers tonight and you will continue to be in mine.

This is really sweet, thank you!

• Options

imagedeedylovescake:
    No experience here but this makes my heart feel very heavy. I'm praying for your sweet girl.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

• Options

imageMrs. Alice:
    Oh sweetie I am so sorry to hear this news. I have a friend with 25 weekers who had ivh and hydrocephalus. Her blog is called hydro babies. I can't link it cause I'm on my phone. But I bet she would be more than happy to talk to you. Hugs and prayers for Anna.

Thank you! I know every baby is different, but all we can do is look at the journeys of others and hope for wisdom and guidance!

• Options

imageAlwaysSunny925:
    Both my sons had grade 34 bleeds and both were diagnosed with hydrocephalus and shunted during their nicu stay. I'm sorry you are facing this, I know it is very scary especially when the doctors start talking quality of life. Ill be honest, both my sons have their own struggles but today at 16 months old they are happy, healthy and progressing. Aiden is about ready to walk and while Ryan is quite a bit delayed he gets his therapy and is cognitively very much in line with his adjusted age. If you are interested my blog is www.hydrobabies.blogspot.com. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Hugs. Praying for you and your sweet Anna.

Thank you so much! Your boys are adorable! I know Anna's doctors just want what's best for her, but I also know that they are influenced by what they see, which I guess is often bad outcomes. It is really hard to try to be rational but also know that NO ONE knows the future! We are just playing the odds. We want to be at peace with our decision either way but right now I doubt that's possible. I'm afraid I'll spend my life researching success stories if we decide to let her go, but I'll never forgive myself if she is one of the "worst case scenarios" and has a lifetime of suffering.

• Options

No experience. Come on Anna please fight for your mama and daddy! Sending my prayers and extra good thoughts. 

• Options
    Thinking and praying for you and your little sweetie!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Thank you all! The soft spot on her head is still soft, so I am really hoping for good news tomorrow, though it would be a first for us! She is doing so well in all other areas, and is even off the vent and on the cpap with oxygen in the high 20s! I just want her brain to fall into line!

• Options
    I'm sorry that you're having to go through this.  T&Ps for little Anna.  I hope you get good news tomorrow. (((hugs)))
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • Options

imagejbranden12:
    Thank you all! The soft spot on her head is still soft, so I am really hoping for good news tomorrow, though it would be a first for us! She is doing so well in all other areas, and is even off the vent and on the cpap with oxygen in the high 20s! I just want her brain to fall into line!

What great news that she is on CPAP with low O2!  I hope that you get good news today.  We are all thinking about you.   

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    Just got on to check and see if there was any updates on your little Anna, what great news about her breathing!! Praying that the good news keeps coming today!
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Praying for you and your LO.  I hope the swelling resolves itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"