June 2012 Moms

NBR: Hard decisions :/

I just had to withdraw my application for an amazing position as a professor. DH's field is very limited for work and he said he could not relocate to where the position would take us.

I see that in the long run he would not be allowed to find work in his area, but they were anxious to have me work there and the position would be mine if I wanted.

It is so hard to let go, but we have to make decisions as a family :((((

It would be exciting to have secured a professor position before getting my PhD, but it won't be my last opportunity (I hope).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: NBR: Hard decisions :/

• I'm sorry you have to withdraw your app. Academic positions are few & far between these days, so it must be disappointing. DH and I are both PhDs. He graduated a year before I did and landed his dream tenure track position. We lived in different states for the last year of my program, which was tough. We knew we weren't willing to live separately (as is pretty common in academia), so I got a job outside of academia. I commute about an hour each way. It's tough, but I do love my job, and I am thankful we both have great jobs and can live together! Best of luck to you, it will all work out in the end : )
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagestepper1725:
    I'm sorry you have to withdraw your app. Academic positions are few & far between these days, so it must be disappointing. DH and I are both PhDs. He graduated a year before I did and landed his dream tenure track position. We lived in different states for the last year of my program, which was tough. We knew we weren't willing to live separately (as is pretty common in academia), so I got a job outside of academia. I commute about an hour each way. It's tough, but I do love my job, and I am thankful we both have great jobs and can live together! Best of luck to you, it will all work out in the end : )

Thank you Smile

• Loading the player...
  • are you almost finished with the dissertation? Just remember that you never have to do it again!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagestepper1725:

are you almost finished with the dissertation? Just remember that you never have to do it again!

Half way done. The plan is to defend by May...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"