Preemies

Tell me how you transitioned from NICU bottles

Our little girl is home at 34 weeks after arriving at 32.  She figured out bottles early and although she doesn't always eat perfectly, her enthusiasm for mealtime had her leaving the NICU after 10 days.  The doctor said, you'll figure out breastfeeding at home.  But in the NICU I didn't get to spend too much time trying to breastfeed because LO wouldn't have the energy to eat if we spent too long on it.  At home she has a good latch but will only eat for about 20 seconds and then is like, okay, going to nap until you give me the bottle.  I'm not sure how often and how long each time to try, if I should ever not give her the bottle for a while, or if maybe she just won't get it until later and I should try less often.  Can you tell me your experiences?

Re: Tell me how you transitioned from NICU bottles

• I try to get Arabella to nurse at least 2-3 times a day [NICU nurse said don't make it to many times if she appears tired from it] She latches really good and will nurse for about 10 minutes before pulling her self off or hanging out at the boob. I then give her about 40-60ml from the bottle. The times I don't put her to breast she gets 80-90ml. I was told she might not get fully breastfed till around 2wks after her EDD. She was 6 weeks early so we have hopefully 5 more weeks till she can do this. You should contact your hospitals lactation consultant, most of the time you can set up a one on one with them. Especially during special circumstances [ie. a preemie]
    imageimage
    Me:32 DH:33 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image
    Mommy Graphics
  • My DD was born at 31w4d. We breast fed and bottle fed in the NICU. You may want to try a nipple shield. Medela has a good one that my DD liked. It made it much easier for her. She would breast feed in the beginning about 2-3 times per day and then take the rest in bottles with pumped breast milk. She does get more and is fuller after the bottle so when I breast feed, I breast feed about every 2 hours. Now we breast feed all day with no nipple shield and bottles at night. It may seem like she will never figure it out but these things will just click for your LO. Keep it up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS was born at 32w5d and came home about 4 1/2 weeks later.  I didn't try BFing at the NICU because I didn't want him to miss opportunities proving himself on the bottle, but the nurses said he had a great suck and I should try it at home.  I tried the first night and he latched for about 5 minutes.  I figured out that he gets about .5 oz every 5 minutes or so with continuous sucking so I fed him the rest of his feeding from a bottle.  The pedi suggested BFing once per day for a week or 2 until we could get a weight check and make sure he was growing.  Luckily DS has been latching well and I BF about 1-2 times per day.  It helps my supply, but continuing to pump also gives DH and others opportunities to feed him.  I think I'll keep this up for awhile but we have a 16 mo so pumping gets tricky during the day!
  • Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I have seen the NICU lactation consultant a couple times.  She showed me a lot, but she thinks LO should get it ASAP but the nurses and pedi didn't, and so I wanted to hear some at home experiences. Hearing that you all had some success is encouraging and will help me keep trying.
  • I am so glad you posted this. I.could have written i other than.i have twins . My girls came home.on.friday. they are 37w now (born.at 31) TheLCs at the hospital were useless and the ped said.to.keep.trying, but wouldn't offer any.specific.instruction. I have been winging it. I try bfing at least once a day and am.hoping to ramp.it up more the closer they get to their due date.
  • I kept trying both my boys on the breast when they most alert and quite hungry. Then they nursed until they tired and got a bottle right after. I usually hand expressed right into their mouth to get things going. I also tried very hard to make it a happy time with Mommy by laying down to nurse, cuddling and giving one on one time, as I wanted the hard work of the bottle to be worth it!

Now after three months, one twin has totally got it and takes the majority of feeds by breast (yay less pumping!). His brother however, just never got the hang of it  and I've pretty much given up trying - he gets too frustrated. He gets pumped milk and cuddles after.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"