New to The Bump
Options

Maternity Coverage

My husband and I have finally decided to start a family and as two self employed individuals we are both really confused on maternity coverage and benefits.  We have Coventry insurance now and I have been told they cannot even offer us maternity coverage at all so we will have to switch.  Blue Cross gave us a quote with the Blue Essentials plan that has a $500 deductible and a $2500 max out of pocket but its $580/month!  Not to mention I have to have this plan for at least 9 months before coverage will begin.  So including the wait time and the time I am pregnant it will be over $11,000 just for insurance.  Ick.  So what did you do for maternity coverage?  I know being self employed is a disadvantage when it comes to insurance but I am trying to find our best option.

Re: Maternity Coverage

• Options
    eeks! I'm not sure - I know I have friends who are self employed and had to pay a TON out of pocket bc of that type of situation. I would call a health insurance agent (ask your friends/family for personal referral)...I worked in that field a while back. Go with an agent that has multiple carriers they work with bc you will have more options with them than a person who just works for *insert big name company*. Good luck and CONGRATS!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is kaiser in your area? It was a cost effective option for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
     yes i highly recommend  Kaiser, i had it through work and just applied  as an individual,  they have many plans and from what i can tell as long as you are not already pregnant when you apply,  there  does not appear  to be a minimum waiting period for prenatal coverage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"