Eco-Friendly Family
Options

How to become more natural.

I really want to start being more eco friendly but I need some help. Eco friendly things we do so far:

Cloth Diaper

Shop organically every now and then

Recycled

Buy organic/wooden toys

That's about it. I would like to know more about what I can do to be more friendly to our earth and to our bodies. 

A major question I have is about the "No poo" method. I'm interested but scared to try that out! My hair gets oily really easily so I don't know if I can do it. Anyone have any tips or advice about that?

Thanks in advance! 

Re: How to become more natural.

• Options

Small steps...one at a time. Right now, I'm focusing on getting more effecient choices for the house (low-flow, high-efficiency, etc) and less toxic purchases (trying to find a chemical free sofa/mattress next). We also compost organic materials from the house and yard, converted to stainless steel/glass/cast iron for cooking and try to mostly shop consignment/thrift...to give you a few more ideas.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

By the way, I tried no poo for a while...but have thin and fast to oil hair as well. It was okay for me, but I didn't see huge improvement. I've since switch to just natural shampoos that don't have the stripping chemicals in them, and I wash my hair every three days or so.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am also trying to be more eco-friendly.  What does no poo mean?
  • Options

There's a thread on the CD board every thursday (i think) "going green to save some green"

the ladies have lots of tips there!

No 'poo is no shampoo.  you use baking soda and apple cider vinegar instead of shampoo/conditioner.  You can google for proper instructions on how to do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Use baking soda and vinegar as cleaners..there's tons of ideas on Pinterest ..you can make just about any cleaner yourself with "green" ingredients. Not only better for tithe environment, but your family as well. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Your list so far is great! Like the PPs said, baby steps. You have to pick one area and learn more about it, implement those steps, once accomplished move on to the next.

I hate to sound like I'm promoting myself here but I blog about this and I think of my audience to be not seasoned eco-friendly moms but beginners like you, like I was until fairly recently.

Here is a post about why you want to use nontoxic products for body/beauty use. and the follow up is the top 10 ingredients to avoid.

This a list of different cleaners and smalls steps to be greener. HTH!

• Options
    Thanks for the no poo explanation!
  • Options
    Going 'green' is definately an ongoing process. My advice - Be aware of your actions and make informed choices. Most every change you make will come back to that.
  • Options

It is a time consuming process to fully research green/natural products for the home and for our families but it is necessary to avoid toxic chemicals!  I have spent so much time on researching all of our products since our son was born and have consolidated it to help others save time.  It is a maze of options to work through but hopefully this information can help!

https://www.healthyhappytot.com/

www.healthyhappytot.com - Healthy, non-toxic product recommendations for children from a mom who has really used them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"