August 2012 Moms
Options

Calcium magnesium zinc pills

Do calcium magnesium zinc pills only come in this gigantic bottle??? 300 pills! Lol! Also does anyone know how much is the recommended dosage? I'm talking in regards to increasing milk supply.

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
       Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Calcium magnesium zinc pills

• Options
    I don't know, I couldn't find any when I was at the store.   I need to try CVS or someplace I guess.   Let me know how it goes.   Good luck lady!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    3, 3 times a day. I can't see your image, but I think there is 175 in my bottle. I bought it at CVS!
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've got a gigantic bottle, too. I was told take 2 if you want to maintain your supply, 3 if you want to increase it. I just try and remember to take one at each meal.
    734609_517665664943929_192232217_n Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! im hoping this works!! My supply is tanking for no good reason and I'm so depressed about it because LO is starting to eat more! I had up to 85 oz in the freezer at one point and now I have 14. I'm still drinking Mothers milk tea and eating oatmeal. I haven't changed a thing. And at night it's even worse. I feel so empty. I know LO is fussy because he wants more. I'm gonna try power pumping this weekend. I used to get 16 oz at work now I get 11. I send in 13 to daycare. :[

• Options

I just found this on Kellymom, which would (hopefully) explain what's happening to me since I'm expecting my period in a few days and this has been going on for over a week. 

Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement

Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman?s blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination. Otherwise the calcium will not be adequately absorbed into your body. The amount of supplement depends on the composition of your diet ? the more animal protein, the more calcium/magnesium needed. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, the lower dosage may work fine for you. If you supplement more than 500 mg calcium per day, then divide the dose so you?re not taking it all at once ? calcium absorption is best when a person consumes no more than 500 mg at one time.

Start the supplement when you ovulate, and continue through the first few days of your menstrual period. If periods are irregular, then begin calcium/magnesium at 14 days after the beginning of your last menstrual cycle, or simply take the supplement every day.

• Options

imagemlynne37wiu:
    I take one pill three times a day.  I also to the oatmeal and Mother's Milk tea (thanks to you!) and I also drink pineapple juice every morning.  I also spin around three times before pumping...kidding...sigh, the things we do hoping it will help, right?

My lord, seriously!  My cabinet here at work looks like a pharmacy.  Prenatals, B complex for hair, CMZ for milk, mother's milk tea, oatmeal...  lol!  If they said spinning worked, I'd do it!  lol!

• Options

When I was taking it, I was taking it 3x a day, but had to cut back to once a day.  On top of my prenatal I think it must have been too much.  I was getting really bad headaches. 

I hope it helps you out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it bad to take 3 at once, at night? Because I do, with my vitamin D.

I actually found 2 smaller bottles, buy 1 get 1 free. AF isn't back but my supply seemed to shrink a bit. I'm not sure if it's helping but LO has since stopped getting mad when she eats, which could have been unrelated to supply anyway. I just think that any issue we have with anything whatsoever, I instinctively jump to the "welp, there goes my milk" conclusion.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    imagepunkrockabye:

I actually found 2 smaller bottles, buy 1 get 1 free. AF isn't back but my supply seemed to shrink a bit. I'm not sure if it's helping but LO has since stopped getting mad when she eats, which could have been unrelated to supply anyway. I just think that any issue we have with anything whatsoever, I instinctively jump to the "welp, there goes my milk" conclusion.

You're not alone. I'm the same way because its a fear that I'll dry up. My supply is easily affected anyway. I think it already worked because I felt a letdown today and it's been a while since I felt that.

• Options

imagepunkrockabye:
    Is it bad to take 3 at once, at night? Because I do, with my vitamin D. I actually found 2 smaller bottles, buy 1 get 1 free. AF isn't back but my supply seemed to shrink a bit. I'm not sure if it's helping but LO has since stopped getting mad when she eats, which could have been unrelated to supply anyway. I just think that any issue we have with anything whatsoever, I instinctively jump to the "welp, there goes my milk" conclusion.

I *think* the calcium is absorbed "best" when you only take <600mg at a time.  I remember hearing that on a Dr. Oz show last year, but I don't remember what/if there are negative side effects to taking more than that.  Constipation maybe?   

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    imagebabyike:

imagepunkrockabye:

I *think* the calcium is absorbed "best" when you only take &lt;600mg at a time. &nbsp;I remember hearing that on a Dr. Oz show last year, but I don't remember what/if there are negative side effects to taking more than that. &nbsp;Constipation maybe? &nbsp;&nbsp;

I believe you're right. That little snippet I posted up there from Kellymom says 500 mgs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"