Parenting after 35

Adventures in PT

DS is nearly 3.5 and NOT potty trained.  He finally seems ready but it's also hit or miss. I am not going to push him 3 day boot camp style--he has mild SPD and I don't want any sensory setbacks.  So I was wondering who else here just let their LO go at his/her own pace and how it went?

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: Adventures in PT

• Charles isn't, either.  He's 3 1/4.  And I have just been lazy and haven't pushed yet.  He talks a good game, but is going to need some serious motivation.  Picked up "Potty Training for Dummies" at the library yesterday.   I NEED TO DO THIS!!!!

FYI--Robyn.. when I was searching books on our library website, I did notice one for training boys with sensory issues.   That might give you some helpful advice!   If you can't find it at yours, I'll go back and see if I can find it again and get you the title/author.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Before now, he was REFUSING to go anywhere near a potty/toilet. Now at least he has told me--although inconsistently. And yesterday pooping at the doctor's office was HUGE. He really wanted to poop in his diaper (began squatting a bit, in the waiting room), but I convinced him to try the toilet and he did. Plus it was a rough poop (sorry TMI) and I can understand why he was scared/upset. It hurt.

And on Wednesday, we went out to dinner and he asked to pee while at the restaurant--and did! So I think we're moving ahead now.

I hope.

LOL 

• Loading the player...
  • Yay Aaron!  Sounds like he might be figuring it out now!

And don't dispair... C's closest buddies are all slightly older than him by a few months and most of them are still trying to get the hang of it.  His friend Phillip turns 4 in March and still has accidents at least once a week, plus still wears a diaper at night.  His mom is due with #2 in about two months and is very afraid the new baby will completely throw him off track again.

• I've told you DD's story before on the PT board so I won't bore you with it again, but she was over age 3 before she finally did it.  But once she did, it was like a light switch.  She is fully trained (day and night) now and almost never has an accident.

One thing that I wanted to ask, though -- is there any chance he's constipated?  DD has had issues with this since toddlerhood and it can definitely interfere with potty training.  I read a book about it called "It's No Accident" that was pretty interesting.  Apparently chronic constipation is a very common problem for little kids and has a big impact on their ability to control their bladders.  Just a random thought to throw out there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mwdmwd member
    Glad to read you've had some success, and away from home which is huge!  DS was 4 when the doctor made us do it last October.  Now he is dry all night, and hardly ever has an accident.  We went cold turkey and just made him go on the potty like every hour.  Good luck! 
  • It's not going well. The end.
  • Aw... sorry H. :(

And to the constipation question. Yes, he is often constipated. Runs in the family (I had similar issues). If I ply him with blueberries, it helps.

I don't expect instant success but will be more proactive in the PT. 

• We're not there yet, but I just wanted to say what a great picture of you and your family!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I let both my boys go at their own pace.  It was fine.

DS1 trained earlier than DS2.  I tried pushing DS2 at the same age and it was a total fail.  When he was ready, he was ready.

Thinking about the process is worse than actually dealing with it, IME.  At the end of the day, you just clean the shiiit up as needed.  *shrug*

My only advice would be to keep how invested you are in his training to yourself.  Do not make it a battle or show you hand.  When he has success, celebrate, when he misses show mild disappointment and carry on.

Good luck.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Thanks for all the feedback.  We're not there yet, but progress has been made. He wore underpants for a few hours today and did well, overall. He did pee through one pair (and also needed an outfit change) and was quite upset. He hated being wet. And while in the underpants (before the accident) he let my DH know he had to poop and pee and did.

We'll probably do a mix of pull-ups and underwear for now. I think in a week or so, I'll bite the bullet and send him to daycare in underpants (with 4-5 changes of clothes/shoes) per his teacher's suggestion. She also thinks he needs the feeling of wet underwear to cement things.

I don't want to rush it, but I also don't want to lose the ground we gained. So slow and steady is my mantra. 

• imageStrunella:
    We're not there yet, but I just wanted to say what a great picture of you and your family!

Thanks!!  Pic taken at the Picture People at the Mall in November. I am very thrilled by how it came out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"