Food Allergy

Reaction to gluten? Oats?

My ped has insisted that my LO green mucus stools w occasional blood were due to milk & soy intolerance. However after strictly removing for 3weeks she still had occasional blood & was very fussy.  I removed gluten (along w all other top 8 but wheat was only thing I ate consistently). It got infinitely better - mood was so much better & diapers improved though not perfect.

recently I started adding things back to my diet.  Hasn't reacted until today - fussy & "bad" stool (though no blood.  Te only thing I can think of that has any consistency is gluten free oatmeal.   But I don't know what she would be reacting to with that or how to proceed.  Should I try to add gluten and leave out the oats?  Hs anyone else had this issue?   

Re: Reaction to gluten? Oats?

• I think it's the gluten-free oats. There is a lot of discussion as to whether or not oats can truly be gluten-free, as there are traces that can still be present due to cross-contamination.

Some people with gluten sensitivities can't do oats at all, even GF-oats.

Another thing I would say it as long as he isn't having bloody stool, I'd give the GF oats another try or two. Sometimes a sensitive body (like one with a lot of FAs/sensitivities) reacts instinctively to anything new. If after another helping or two of GF oats you see the same reaction, then I'd pull it.

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • interesting.  I knew oats were suspect but thought the certified GF would be ok.  If she does have a gluten intolerance/sensitivity, is it likely she will still outgrow at 12-24 months as she would MSPI?  I could have her tested for celiac but was told it was likely too early - would be inaccurate - and unlikely since she is gaining weight welll.  Don't want her to get more testing than she needs obviously.

• Loading the player...
  • I have celiac and can tolerate GF oats just fine, but the protein in oats is very similar to gluten and some people with celiac react to the protein in oats as well, even if they are gluten free.

Kristen (7), Timothy (5), Robert (3), Charles (9 months)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"