March 2013 Moms
Options

STM+: Stocking up on diapers

I would like to reduce the "hit" as much as possible after the birth of our son and want to start purchasing disposable diapers now in a variety of sizes, brands. Did anyone do this with previous children? How many of each size did you/are you purchasing? I am only purchasing size 1, 2, and 3's right now (staying away from newborn sizes as our hospital will provide a box for us to take home-if he's even that small!). Did you spread out amongst brands or choose one brand/type to stay with? Just want to make sure I do this as intelligently as possible!

Re: STM+: Stocking up on diapers

• Options

It's a good idea in theory, but honestly, you are much better off putting money aside right now and then saving that for diapers.

Some people say their baby preferred one type of diaper over the other.  I really only used Huggies or Pampers when DS1 was little and he did fine in either.  As he got older and more mobile, I MUCH preferred Pampers Cruisers to any other type of diaper.  It doesn't have the plastic feel and they move with the baby which feels more comfortable (at least IMO since he can't tell me,haha!)

I think the hardest thing about buying ahead, is that you have NO idea how long your baby will stay in a certain size.  DS was a month early so obviously he was smaller than average.  He stayed in preemie size for a month and then newborn for a LONG time.  After that he stayed in size 1 for quite a while but he started chunking up and we only went through one box of size 2 before we moved to size 3.  I had so many diapers left in size 2 (which I put up for this baby).  Size 4, he was in for a several months.. I think about 8 before we moved to his current size 5.  

• Options

I did it and it worked out great so I did it again...I got one box of NB since our hospital starts at size 1.   I stuck with all Pampers sensitive up until size 3 and then I got whatever brand was cheaper.

This is what I got last time and have this time

NB- 200

1- 300-400

2-300-400

3 and 4- not sure of the numbers but she was in them for a while so I bought a lot

If I ran out of one size I moved to the next b/c for the most part she was close enough to move up

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am a FTM but i got a great deal on diapers.com so I got one box of sz 1 to start. I figure that is for babies 8-14lbs. A bunch of my friends said to wait until after my shower too.

I live in a 1br apt and we will be there until LO is about 3 months so I am trying to maximize as much space as possible. 

I wouldn't go too crazy on diapers until you know what the baby can use (some have allergic reactions to certain diapers and brands). 

JMO. Good luck!

• Options

I agree with pp who suggested setting aside money now for diapers instead of actually purchasing them. You don't know what kind/brands will work well for your baby - my son consistently had poopie diaper blow-outs with Huggies to the point that we gave the rest away. You also won't know how long your baby will stay in any given size. I bought 1 box of newborn size, and a box of size 1 to have on hand when baby is born.

FWIW, my fave brands are Target and Luv's. If Target brand diapers work for your baby, its totally the way to go. Even if you have coupons for other brands, it still ends up being cheaper, and they worked great for us!

• Options
    Honestly I would just set the money aside.  Every child is different and some brands might not work for your LO.  I tried every brand under the sun with DS 1 and the only thing he could wear was Pampers.  You will be kicking yourself if you have a ton of diapers that leak and they get expensive.  If you do want to purchase a couple just to have on hand I found and have heard from others that they stay in sizes 3 and 5 for the longest amount of time.  Right now I have 1 box of NB and 1 box of size 1.  Thats all I'm getting until I know what works for him.
  • Options
    I wouldn't stock up. DS was hardly ever in newborn, then size 1 was Pampers swaddlers, half way through size 2 we switched to Pampers Baby Dry bc he was wetting through at night, size 3 needed a size up of Target brand at night, and now he has switched again to Pampers Cruisers and Target at night. We have used 4 different diapers in the last 9 months.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I only had luck with huggies not leaking when DS was little.  I would wait and see what brand you like.  Weird but they are very different depending on the shape of the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagelkm2006:

It's a good idea in theory, but honestly, you are much better off putting money aside right now and then saving that for diapers.

Some people say their baby preferred one type of diaper over the other.  I really only used Huggies or Pampers when DS1 was little and he did fine in either.  As he got older and more mobile, I MUCH preferred Pampers Cruisers to any other type of diaper.  It doesn't have the plastic feel and they move with the baby which feels more comfortable (at least IMO since he can't tell me,haha!)

I think the hardest thing about buying ahead, is that you have NO idea how long your baby will stay in a certain size.  DS was a month early so obviously he was smaller than average.  He stayed in preemie size for a month and then newborn for a LONG time.  After that he stayed in size 1 for quite a while but he started chunking up and we only went through one box of size 2 before we moved to size 3.  I had so many diapers left in size 2 (which I put up for this baby).  Size 4, he was in for a several months.. I think about 8 before we moved to his current size 5.  

I totally agree with this.  DD1 was 7 weeks early so she stayed in NB a looooong time.  Same with size 1.  And actually I am not even sure she even wore size 3s, like, ever... before just moving into Pull-Ups.  (She's a little peanut.)  

As far as brands go though, I will give you my 2 cents: love Pampers (Swaddlers, etc. NOT Baby Dry) for diapers, and Huggies for wipes.  Costco (if you have that) has Huggies wipes and then the Kirkland (Costco store brand) diapers are totally the same as Pampers.  I don't start using the Kirkland brand until size 1-2 though.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    I'm stocking up on diapers and I think I went a little over the top. I coupon for them, so I have everything from Luvs, Pampers, and Huggies. lol I do have a box for my nine month old by Pampers for overnights, and they work great. No leaks. My personal favorite is Huggies Little Movers. They hug my baby well, and really hold her mess. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"