May 2013 Moms

Brain Ventricles

Hey May Momma's....We had our a/s this past Thursday and everything went really good! We confirmed we're having another sweet little girl, and everyting they we're looking at is right on track and looked healthy! However, our u/s tech brought in the Dr. to say she noticed that her brain ventricles were measuring 9mm, which is on the high end of normal? They typically don't worry unless it reaches 10-12mm??... Anything beyond that could result in an unhealthy baby, possibly having Hydrocephalus or other health issues. The Dr. said that she hesitated even saying anything to us at all, because 9mm is still considered to be in this "high end of normal" range...but suggested we go back in 2 weeks to remeasure that area. I'm not in a tail spin over this, but I guess I am more curious in writing this post as to anyone's experience either with yourself, or others you may know who have gone through this? Prayers would be great too, as we hope there is no change in the size when we go back in a few weeks...Thanks for your listening ear ladies, have a great week!

Eta spelling typo

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Brain Ventricles

• No experiences, but prayers it doesn't cause issues.
  • Our little girl has this. Her ventricles measure 10mm and 12mm, which is considered mild ventriculomegaly (mild is 10-15mm). We have had a fetal MRI and seen a neurologist at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (one of the best in the country). The neurologist told us that less than 10 is normal, however, ventriculomegaly on its own means nothing and can actually be a normal variant. I wouldn't worry with a measurement of 9 as we are feeling hopeful and positive that our own LO will be normal. You are incorrect in saying that measurements of 10-12 mean an unhealthy baby with hydrocephalus. It is when the measurements become greater than 15 or are increasing that they become very worried. It also depends on the cause of the ventriculomegaly, as there are several.

T's&P's that your LO's measurement stays the same or decreases.

TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have any experience with this but I wanted to mention that you will be in my T&Ps. I hope you get good news at the next visit! 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevpr105:
    Our little girl has this. Her ventricles measure 10mm and 12mm, which is considered mild ventriculomegaly mild is 1015mm. We have had a fetal MRI and seen a neurologist at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia one of the best in the country. The neurologist told us that less than 10 is normal, however, ventriculomegaly on its own means nothing and can actually be a normal variant. I wouldn't worry with a measurement of 9 as we are feeling hopeful and positive that our own LO will be normal. You are incorrect in saying that measurements of 1012 mean an unhealthy baby with hydrocephalus. It is when the measurements become greater than 15 or are increasing that they become very worried. It also depends on the cause of the ventriculomegaly, as there are several. T'samp;P's that your LO's measurement stays the same or decreases.

Thank you...T and P's to your LO as well! I haven't seen anyone beyond the Dr at the u/s office so I'm only quoting what she said regarding greater than 12mm issues? But I'm very glad to hear the results you were given, they sound much better...fx and prayers said that we have healthy baby girls.
  • DS has hydrocephalus as a result of a stroke from an undetected heart defect at 4 weeks old.  I hope your little girl doesn't have it, if god forbid she does they can place a vp shunt to help keep them a normal size and move her cerebral spinal fluid.  I'm glad they are looking into it and being vigilant!  Again, I hope it is nothing more than the high end of normal!  
  • imagetuffytiff:
    imagevpr105:
    Our little girl has this. Her ventricles measure 10mm and 12mm, which is considered mild ventriculomegaly mild is 1015mm. We have had a fetal MRI and seen a neurologist at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia one of the best in the country. The neurologist told us that less than 10 is normal, however, ventriculomegaly on its own means nothing and can actually be a normal variant. I wouldn't worry with a measurement of 9 as we are feeling hopeful and positive that our own LO will be normal. You are incorrect in saying that measurements of 1012 mean an unhealthy baby with hydrocephalus. It is when the measurements become greater than 15 or are increasing that they become very worried. It also depends on the cause of the ventriculomegaly, as there are several. T'samp;P's that your LO's measurement stays the same or decreases.
    Thank you...T and P's to your LO as well! I haven't seen anyone beyond the Dr at the u/s office so I'm only quoting what she said regarding greater than 12mm issues? But I'm very glad to hear the results you were given, they sound much better...fx and prayers said that we have healthy baby girls.

Thank you so much!! Our next growth US is Feb. 4th so hopefully my LO's numbers go down as well! Please keep us updated!

TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have any experience but I wanted to send you thoughts and prayers.

**BFP 6/2/2015
    Toddler Boy 5/24/2013
  • Both my DD and DS have enlarged ventricles, but it has been chalked up to hereditary issues.  DD's were not detected until her 6 month checkup when her head circumference was measuring off the charts.  We saw a pediatric neurosurgeon who followed her and did monthly ultrasounds of her brain to detect any pressure.  She also had several MRIs.  In the end, they decided surgery wasn't warranted after her skull bones closed and she wasn't experiencing increased pressure.

When DS developed the same thing, it was diagnosed in an u/s in the last trimester.  Again, he had MRIs, but they felt it was more hereditary.  So, both my kids have larger heads (I don't think it's that noticable), but both are actually really smart!  Since my children are in middle school and high school, and are in all advanced classes...it's not just me saying that as a mom....it's true.  Also, we're talking close to 15 years ago when I was pregnant with DD, so I don't think the pregnancy u/s were that indepth like they are today.

Try not to worry!  I know it can be an emotional rollercoaster, but I would assume there would be some following initially after they were born before they would consider surgery.  That is the benefit of the baby's skull being flexible.  It does provide room for the head to expand if there is excess fluid without causing brain damage.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Hi there! 

We had our ultrasound 4 weeks ago and had the exact same findings - ventricles measuring at 9mm. We were asked to come back in 4 weeks (today) for a repeat scan. Our Dr. said the exact same thing at our first visit, "I hesitate to even tell you ..."  <-That doesn't make you worry any less!! Long story short, our scan looked perfect today. Our little guy's ventricles shrank a considerable amount! Yay!!

I will say that after four weeks of worrying and speaking with other mothers who had the same findings, the outlook is good for your peanut, even if her ventricles grow. So, try not to worry too much. My doula's daughter had ventricles measuring at around 14mm three days before giving birth and at birth they were within normal limits. A coworker of my husband's little boy had to have a shunt put in at birth, and while it was very scary for them at the time, he is now a thriving, smart toddler. 

I'll say one last thing. 9mm is normal. That's the biggest thing to remember. One of the midwives I saw last week was questioning why they would even say something. So, just take it as a sign that your OBGYN/Radiologist is being careful and taking a good look at your baby. It is highly likely that she'll be just fine. But I'll be sending you lots of love these next two weeks and sending prayers to your sweet baby. I know how hard it is not knowing. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need to talk. Good luck!!

• Thank you a thousand times to all of you! It's very heart warming to hear your reassurance and know I'm in your t and p's!...I will update after my appt next Thursday. FX!!!
  • I was born with hydrocephalus, and had a shunt installed at 3 days old, with a few revisions since.  I'm now 28 and have had a totally normal, healthy life aside from those few surgeries, so there is definitely still hope even if your baby is diagnosed with hydrocephalus! I know it's hard and scary to think about, but try not to stress.  Hydrocephalus is totally treatable.
    Maureen & Jonathan - Married 10-9-10 | Expecting our first child 05-04-13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebklyn10910:
    I was born with hydrocephalus, and had a shunt installed at 3 days old, with a few revisions since. nbsp;I'm now 28 and have had a totally normal, healthy life aside from those few surgeries, so there is definitely still hope even if your baby is diagnosed with hydrocephalus! I know it's hard and scary to think about, but try not to stress. nbsp;Hydrocephalus is totally treatable.

Thank you so much for sharing that with me, I really appreciate it! I do feel much better with all the reponses and hopeful that everything will be just fine no matter the outcome...
  • Hi, just wondering how the follow up went? Our baby had the same measurements and we have another week to wait to follow up! I'm hopeful that things went well for you. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"