Natural Birth
Options

Vent: OB's office already pulling "dead baby" card

I am so glad to be switching away from my OB's practice. I've really had it. I got a call today reminding me to come in for the AFP blood draw. Fine, I am coming in, but when I asked a relatively simple question, the stupid (yes, I know, it's mean to call her stupid) nurse pulls the "it's for the safety and health of your baby!" card. Then she goes on to spout bullsh!t that isn't even true.

Me: I've had a CVS and I just had an anatomy scan. The CVS was diagnostic for all of the chromosomal things that AFP would potentially detect, so isn't this just checking for a single thing?

Her: NO! It tests for a LOOOOOTTT of things.

Me: No, it would only screen for neural tube defects since I've already eliminated the rest with the CVS and anatomy scan.

Her: NO! It tests for other stuff too.

Me: Like what?

Her: LOTS of stuff!

She couldn't give me a single good example, and so I asked to speak to the doctor. The doctor confirmed what I already knew - that because I had the CVS it would only be useful for detecting a minor neural tube defect - and confirmed that even if they did it would be minor because we already had the anatomy scan. She also confirmed that they wouldn't be able to treat it anyway until after birth, if it needed treatment at all. Unlike Down Syndrome where it would be useful to know because additional screening would help to see how the baby's systems are developing, the high likelihood of heart issues, etc., this one isn't that valuable. I still am going to have the blood draw because it's just a blood draw, but I hate it when they use that "OMG you're jeopardizing the well being of your baby!" scare tactic to get you in line. This just confirms that I made the right decision to switch to a respected midwife practice. I can't wait until my appointment next month.

Re: Vent: OB's office already pulling "dead baby" card

• Options
    im very happy for you that you decided to switch, you should not have had that issue over something like a blood draw&test. 
  • Options
    Did you let the doctor know that his nurse only knows that tests do "lots of stuff"?  Hopefully he had a teenager filling in and his actual nurse isn't that daft.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageCelyn:
    Did you let the doctor know that his nurse only knows that tests do "lots of stuff"?  Hopefully he had a teenager filling in and his actual nurse isn't that daft.

I let the doctor know. This is one of the nurses in this very large practice, unfortunately.

• Options

Wow, just, wow.  I don't get it.  I love my OB-GYN practice.  I opted out of all of the testing aside from the anatomy scan and didn't have a single problem.  They told me what the testing was for, and when I told them I didn't feel it was necessary, they said "Ok, just sign here to acknowledge that you have been informed and opted out."  That was it.

They also offered Hypnobirthing classes and were awesome at supporting my natural birth.

I hope you have better luck with the midwife practice you are transferring to. 

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options

yep sounds like my one and hopefully only hospital experience... 

bpp came back 8 out of 8 and even though I was already having good timeable contractions albeit I was 41 wks 5 days

nurse: we are going to induce you tomorrow at 5 with pit

me: why? 

nurse: because that's procedure

me: well, uh I don't think so... there is no point in inducing me when I'm already IN LABOR!!!

later that night... my MW cleared me to come back to the birth center...

nurse: you are leaving?

me: yeah, I need an AMA form since I'm going back to the birth center...

nurse: that's not a good idea. you know how we mentioned that there were specks in your amniotic fluid? it could be meconium!

me: they can handle meconium...they deal with overcooked babies all the time since they aren't inducing all their patients...

nurse: it may not be meconium; it could be blood! you're baby could die if you check out AMA!

me: first it's meconium now it's blood? just give me the forms...

AWFUL EXPERIENCE! Thank God for my MW's practice... 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

Yeah I love it when they pull those cards.  During birth of DD, doc says we want to give you an epidural. 

I say why? 

Because you've been in transition for five hours and not progressing. 

And an epi will progress me? 

No but we want to give you a c-section. 

So now I'm getting a c-section? 

Yes.  Right now.  We're going to prep you. 

Can I have some time to think about it? 

I can only give you a half hour.  After that you will bleed out and die.  Or we'll take your uterus.  Or both.

Um, ok.  Half hour then.

HOUR AND A HALF LATER when doc comes back finally: Oh hai!  You're dialated to 10.  Push.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Always Sunny's back b-tches!

• Options

I tried to be patient with the "nurses" at my old OB's office. But I don't think you're off on calling them stupid, even though I feel mean saying it sometimes too. But for the most part they're only techs, not even LPNs. My doc had his LPN that did stuff like refill requests and education but the ones who check your BP and stuff aren't usually LPNs at that office. So, I spent a lot of time arguing with them. Like the one who tried to say my BP was high. I said no, that's what it always is when I'm in a doctor's office. She was like "but it was ____/____ last time and now its ___/___". To which I responded, "uh yes but b/c last time I had an u/s and had been sitting waiting for over an hour so it had dropped by the time I actually saw someone. If you'd go one visit back and keep looking, today's is actually my norm." And I hated how they made me feel when I called a couple times my first trimester for spotting and cramping. I'm sorry but I'm a FTM who's also an RN, I know the 101 things that this could signify even though I also know it's normal. Just reassure me dammit! 

So, glad we switched even though I ended up with a high risk OB instead of a midwife. My new OB might as well be a MW, she's amazing! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"