December 2012 Moms
Options

A little frustrated with in laws re: baptism

Venting ahead.....

So LO's baptism was yesterday. At our church they baptize directly after our noon mass so on the invitations I said that as well as said that would mean baptisms would start ~1245 as mass takes 45 minutes. So that way those of our family that wanted to go to mass at our parish could and those that didn't wouldn't feel they needed to sit through mass. My family is catholic while husband's is not.

So husband's aunt comes in late to mass (fine I can understand that with travel issues etc) initially sits behind us and starts trying to have a conversation with my husband despite my husband trying to end the conversation.  Then she decides to play musical chairs and switches pew to sit with my husband's mom and aunt who were in the pew in front of us (apparently she didn't see them initially again I can understand so she's not sitting alone)-and decides to start up another conversation with them. Then throughout mass mom and aunt chatty keep turning around and talking/distracting our older daughter who is 2-who we've been trying to teach the importance of good behavior at church.

It's probably the hormones talking but i was like seriously!! I felt like they were being very disrespectful of our church and embarrassing us. 

Vent over....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: A little frustrated with in laws re: baptism

• Options
    I have been to a catholic mass a handful of times in my life. I am not catholic. Honestly, I would be annoyed. However, those things are long and confusing. Yes they were being slightly disrespectful, but it's not like they started a screaming match is mass.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I guess I was more frustrated by the fact that I gave them the option of not having to come to mass and just coming for the baptism and they chose to come so then don't interrupt.  sign oh well like you said the world didn't end :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't go to church, but I would be so annoyed. H is catholic so we had DS baptized and will probably have DD done too. It's a respect issue and I would have been very embarrassed to have guests come to my church and disrespect all the other members like that. Hormones or not, I would say your feelings are completely justified. I hope you enjoyed the test of your day!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Grr...that would have really bothered me!  Adults should know that during a church service is not the appropriate time to chat!  I don't know if it does you any good now, but if you ever invite this person to your church again (next lo's baptism?) I would definitely say something ahead of time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitly inappropriate to have conversation during any church service. The only appropriate reason for a QUICK chat would be if there is a proceedural question, or if there is a medical / bathroom emergency.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Catholic here. It's rude for anyone of any denomination or religion to talk during service, but especially when their service is as formal as ours.

All that being said, I would let it go. My ILs (not Catholic) told me to my face after LO was baptized that "infant baptism doesn't count." WTF? Just sayin', this is just a faux pas so to speak, and I'd let it go. Rude? Yes. Worth a fight? No.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemagnoliablossom00:

Catholic here. It's rude for anyone of any denomination or religion to talk during service, but especially when their service is as formal as ours.

All that being said, I would let it go. My ILs (not Catholic) told me to my face after LO was baptized that "infant baptism doesn't count." WTF? Just sayin', this is just a faux pas so to speak, and I'd let it go. Rude? Yes. Worth a fight? No.

This definitely.  I would also use it as a change to teach your 2 year old what not to do!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"