December 2010 Moms

Acceptable reasons for no flu shot?

What are acceptable readons for DC for not giving LO the flu shot? I'm not really asking your personal reasons, but what will DC accept as a reason. If your LO has egg allergies, what do you have to show DC for not getting the flu shot? T is not allergic to eggs, and I am not planning to use that as an excuse. How about religion? T's DC wants all kids to be vaccinated by Monday, and we're avoiding it :/ I know a lot of people will get on my case about it, but I personally know several people who have had bad reactions to it, and one child who was hospitalized because of it. H and I have decided that we don't want to give it to T he and I have never had one either. I guess I'm wondering if we can fit into any loopholes out there I just don't want to outright lie about our reasoning.
photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Acceptable reasons for no flu shot?

• I would think a medical (allergic for instance) or a religious (I've heard of this, but have no idea what religion this would be) reason would work.  I'm sure you'd need some sort of note from a doctor or clergy to back it up.  We all got ours back in November because I'm a big fan of vaccines, so I'm not sure.  I would talk to the daycare about your concerns about the vaccine and see what documentation they needed you to provide to refuse it.  I know at the public school I teach in, all students must be up to date on vaccinations (although flu is not included in that!) or you can't attend.  So, be prepared to find a new daycare if they really want to push it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sorry you're feeling the pressure about it.  I think it's totally fine for them to highly suggest you get it, but if it's not required for school admission in your state (it's not in ours) then they shouldn't get on your case about it.  I'm personally pro-vaccine, but I completely understand when others have reasons they don't want to do it.  You shouldn't be made to feel horrible about it.  If they can't require it, I would hope a simple "we've chosen not to" would suffice though it sounds like maybe not.  :-(  But to answer your question, DC would be aware of any allergies already b/c, at least in ours, we're required to fill out an allergy form and have it signed by the doctor.  It lists the known allergies, symptoms, and treatments so it would be hard for them to NOT know about it.  I have no advice on the religion.  I guess I'd just be upfront with them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yes, and I'm certain you're not the only person at your DC to not want to give the flu vax.  You've definitely got company, you just haven't found them yet.  ;-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm def pro vaccine for most things. DS is up to date on all CDC recommended vaccines other than HepB we'll start that before kindergarten and the flu. We were going to skip chicken pox but got pressured into it not by the doctor at all. Part of me feels like the side affects are worse than the actual 'thing' so it's not worth the risk. I think I'm going to avoid the DC owner for as long as pussible if I can't come up with a valid and true reason she's normally busy in the office when we pick T up :/ oh, and I feel like the flu vaccine is required in NJ :
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am glad you are pro vaccine on most things, but just a reminder: the effects of say, Rubella or Polio might be bad but technically it is not too likely your child will get it. The flu is so common AND can cause such bad results for little kids.  If anything, I personally WOULD get my child a flu shot and forgo the other ones (although I do get all shots).

But I do not know your personal stories, so no judgment here. My main point is, don't underestimate the power of the "run of the mill" flu :(

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • LO and I both got the flu this year, so I will never skip a flu shot again. This was influenza type B that's making its way around the country and is a respiratory flu. It took LO down for 7 days and me for 10. It was HORRIBLE. I have never had the actual flu before in my life (not counting stomach flu - I am talking respiratory) and this year is just such a bad year for it.

My MIL caught it from me and has had it for over 14 days and it developed into bronchitis and she had to go to the hospital. She literally did not eat for 7 days and just had chicken broth today.

Basically, I don't have any good reasons to skip it ever again! (FWIW, this year I am pretty sure LO caught the flu AT the pedi's office when we went for her 2 year checkup and to get vaccinated! 4 days later, she had a fever). I didn't get vaccinated because I was in my first trimester.

• If you are going by state law for school systems-  reasons for not vaccinating- allergic reactions and in some states religious beliefs are the only two I have heard of.  My brother was allergic, he had to have a Dr.'s note and in Indiana I think you just have to state that you have religious beliefs against vaccinations- but remember that your son already has other vaccinations on file at daycare so that excuse would not work and be easy to prove it is not true.

I know you have your reasons,however also remember that the influenza is deadly- the young and the old are at the highest risk.

I would expect to be asked to find other daycare options if you don't have your son vaccinated.

• G is allergic to eggs. The pedi still gives him the flu vaccine. I know you said you're not using that excuse but I'm not sure if that one would work anyway.
  • imageletranger:
    It's your choice. But don't be surprised if you are asked to remove your child from day care.

This. One unvaccinated child jeopardizes the others that are vaccinated. That's the point of vaccinations...

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Why are you worried about a negative reaction? Has he ever experienced a negative reaction to a flu shot or any other vaccination before? If he has, then maybe they would accept that as an excuse. If he's never had a flu shot before, then I doubt they would accept a possible negative reaction as an excuse, since it's really rare and there's no reason to believe that he would have one. Frankly, even if he does have a reaction to it, it's probably worth it to protect him against the flu, which is miserable. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since allergies are already in file that won't work. And since religious beliefs are for no vaccines period, that won't work either. Here it is suggested and not required so our DC doesn't say anything about it. We didn't even have to update his shot record when we had him vaccinated. I'm not sure how that works for each state if it is required or not. But if one dc requires it, all of them that are licensed will I believe.

When/if she confronts you about it, I would just be honest and see what she says. If it isn't required, there's nothing she can do at least not here

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"