March 2013 Moms
Options

Traveling Advice!

My husband's Grandma has cancer and has most likely decided not to have treatment.  They are having a Bday party for her on Feb 16th 2 1/2 hours away from where we live.  I am so conflicted.  It is probably her last I feel like he/we shouldn't miss it.  I will be starting my 37th week at that point and I delivered my 1st 4 weeks early and my 2nd 1 week overdue and she came within 2 hours of my water breaking.  My husband obviously doesn't want to leave me up here and go without me and the dr. said at my last appt that I probably shouldn't travel after Feb 1st.   I don't want to ignore the Dr's orders but I don't want my hubby to feel like he has to choose between me and his Grandma either especially if I don't go into labor for 4 more weeks after that.  What would you do if it was you??

Re: Traveling Advice!

• Options

You definitely shouldn't travel, and I would advise that your husband stay home as well.  I have already had complications that landed me in the hospital, and I know many others on this board have, too.

Could some other family member do FaceTime with you guys over their iPhone, or Skype?

I was supposed to visit my family for Christmas, but a few snow storms pushed our schedule off, and now we won't make it to see them until summer at this point.  (They're 5 hrs away.)

It's really sad his grandmother has cancer, but I'm sure even she would agree that it's more important to keep the younger generation(s) safe and close to the hospital (and parents of the baby together) vs. visiting with her.

Maybe put together an extra special card and gift?  Include copies of ultrasound pics, and then send her tons of baby pics one the baby has arrived? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Would you be able to travel sooner so you and the DH can spend time with her? Even if you missed the birthday party, you could be with her the day or weekend and I am sure she would appreciate it just as much. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Talk to your doctor. If you absolutely can't go, I think your SO should still go. I just lost a grandparent and was blessed enough to be with him before he passed. It would be good for him to have a last cherished memory with his family. In the grand scheme of things, it is highly unlikely that in those few hours of that one day you will go into labor. I don't think you should ask him to stay home.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • Options

imageKota26:
    Would you be able to travel sooner so you and the DH can spend time with her? Even if you missed the birthday party, you could be with her the day or weekend and I am sure she would appreciate it just as much. 

i second this idea.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageKota26:

This is what I was going to suggest, too. My ILs live about 2 hours away and I've basically already said we won't be visiting them after my 34th or 35th week. I was late with my first, but you just never know.  

• Options

imageKota26:

This is a great idea. If it doesn't work out where you both can go early, I think your H should definitely go to the party. I understand you not going but it seems like it would be really special for both your H and his grandmother.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageKota26:

This!  I am all about family and can see where you are having a hard time with this.  I would try and go earlier with your husband so that you can spend some alone time with her.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagevegemom302:

imageKota26:

This is a great idea. If it doesn't work out where you both can go early, I think your H should definitely go to the party. I understand you not going but it seems like it would be really special for both your H and his grandmother.  

I totally agree with this, you should try to go early, but if that doesn't work your H should go without you. My FIL has esophogeal cancer and has declined treatment. I really want my H to be able to get as much quality time with my FIL while FIL is still lucid and alert.

Plus 2.5 hours isn't so bad, he could always come home early if there is an emergency. My DH works an hour from our home, and that hour can quickly turn into 3 during rush hour so I might be a little biased though! 

BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"