Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Consumer Reports for Baby Items?

Hi All,

I have always been a strong believer in consumer reports for cars, vacuums and other "larger" purchases. 

Anyone use their recommendations for baby gear? I am a FTM and need to make some decisions. 

I did see that I can pay for online access, but I was thinking I would try and find the magazine at the library. Does anyone know if/when they do a baby issue? Or did you buy the online access?

Any tips?

:-)
Erin 

Anniversary
When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017

Re: Consumer Reports for Baby Items?

• Options
    Try baby bargains. It's like consumer reports but for baby gear. Get it on amazon.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Options
    I second the vote for baby bargains. Tons of info for such a low cost. They also have a website to supplement the book for the most uptodate info. Love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used a Comsumer Reports book for my baby stuff but that was in 2009 and the book was at least a year old then.  I'm sure their website or amazon will have info if there's an updated version.  If they don't, I would go with Baby Bargains.
  • Options

imageequinechic:
    I second the vote for baby bargains. Tons of info for such a low cost. They also have a website to supplement the book for the most uptodate info. Love it!

A third recommendation here for Baby Bargains. Great book consolidating a lot of the consumer research for you.

I also go to consumersearch.com (click on the Family & Pets tab for baby gear).  It's not as comprehensive in terms of the number of items they review, but I've found it helpful for several times. They, too, consolidate reviews from multiple sources.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am a member of consumer reports... they only rate certain items (car seat, stroller, and high chair) most other items are just a "buying guide" that had information you can find on google.  If there is anything in specific you want to know I have no problem looking it up and providing you with results.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i have both an online acct with Consumer Reports and the Baby Bargains book. I prefer the Baby Bargains book because it is more detailed and reviews a lot more items than Consumer Reports.  I do refer to both sometimes when I  need help deciding or to see if they rate the same item comparably.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Baby Bargains
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

imageDandT1206:
    i have both an online acct with Consumer Reports and the Baby Bargains book. I prefer the Baby Bargains book because it is more detailed and reviews a lot more items than Consumer Reports.  I do refer to both sometimes when I  need help deciding or to see if they rate the same item comparably.

This.  I also look at product reviews online.  Sometimes that helps if there is a toss up. :)

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options

Consumer Reports is a really bad source for carseat information. They aren't consistent with their tests, so they'll test one carseat in a crash at 30 mph and one at 40 and give it the same score (10 mph makes a huge difference in terms of the forces in the seats). They also often install the seats incorrectly in their tests, which makes them entirely worthless.

One important thing to know is that the tests set for the the NHTSA, which is the board overseeing what carseats can legally be sold, are pass/fail tests and results aren't released beyond that. So for all we know the lower end seats with thinner, more flexible plastic actually do better than the more expensive, rigid seats. Any seat sold in stores here are very safe provided they are installed and used correctly at all times.

I've heard good things about baby bargains, although never used it myself.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"