Preemies

Progesterone Therapy?

Hello! Small Intro- We are expecting baby girl #2 and I have GD and a history of preterm labor.

My water broke at 35 weeks last time (and I was then induced with Pitocin after 7 hours of no contractions or change), OB wants me to consider Progesterone Therapy in either suppository or injection form. They aren't 100 percent sure it will help, but they state it won't harm either.  Can you ladies share your experience with me? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Progesterone Therapy?

• I had to use progesterone after my iui and ivf. I cannot speak of the contractions or water breaking because I have not experienced either. The suppository was extremely messy and uncomfortable and the shots were extremely painful. If it does help it would be worth it, but you just need to know what you are getting into. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
  • I'm assuming you are talking about 17p.  I did the injections from 16 weeks to 36 weeks with my second.  I ended up going full term (medically induced at 38w3d).  I was worried about it hurting, because its progesterone in oil, but if didn't hurt any more than the lovenox injections that I had to do. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My water broke at 33w5d and I'm currently taking the 17p injections.  From what I understand, there is a decent body of literature out there.  Even though I think it technically works by relaxing your ute and preventing contrax, I think it can still help.  And as you said, I haven't come across anything that says that there are negatives.  
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thank you ladies.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I also did the 17p shots with DD#2, and I made it an extra week (34 weeks). Definitely not the most comfortable injections, but worth it in my book.

• I'm getting the shots right now.  The shots aren't that bad, they usually leave a sore spot for a few days after but it's not the end of the world, and seriously if it helps me deliver a full term baby I'll do it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh!  And I forgot about this from one of the studies I read:  preemies who were born to moms who took 17p had a much lower incidence of typical preemie problems, like NEC and ROP.

https://www.mombaby.org/PDF/Meis2005.pdf  (sorry no clicky)

Scroll down to page 3 and look at fig.3.  

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have no personal experience but I will be getting them from 16-36 weeks with #2.  If it helps me keep the next one in longer it will be completely worth it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"