December 2010 Moms

getting LO the flu shot

Have you done it yet? When we went in for his 2 year check up, an intern did the check (our pedi was out unexpectedly) and he never mentioned the flu shot, and I forgot to ask. I'm hearing so many stories of how terrible the flu is this year, and I feel guilty for not getting M in to get it yet. I got one at my work for free.

1) Do you think it's too late to get it? Would you get it for him at this point?

2) Would they give him one at a CVS pharmacy type place? His pedi office is out of the vaccine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: getting LO the flu shot

• 1.) No, not too late, but they might be out.

2.) No, CVS/Walgreen's won't administer vaccines to the under 5 or 7 crowd, can't remember the age.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSonadora:

1.) No, not too late, but they might be out.

2.) No, CVS/Walgreen's won't administer vaccines to the under 5 or 7 crowd, can't remember the age.

Bummer! So, we're pretty much out of luck then, since his pediatrician's office is out.  

• Loading the player...
  • Ava got hers at her two year check up (Dec 14). I can say that when the three of us got the flu this past weekend, she was over it the quickest. She vomited 2 or 3 times and was done. H and I were down for two days and are still recovering. If you call your ped I'm sure they'll just have you come in quickly so a nurse can administer it; it's not like you have to see the doctor. 

ETA: Whoops, sorry I see that your ped is out. Do they know how long it will be before they get it back? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• It's not too late. I've heard it hasn't even hit its peak yet Maybe you could call the health department?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • imagejarebearsmom:
    It's not too late. I've heard it hasn't even hit its peak yet Maybe you could call the health department?
    This would be my suggestion as well.

• I would also call your county/city health dept. If anyone has it, they would.  Young children absolutely need to get the flu shot as it is very serious this year.  The flu season has not yet hit it's peak yet and it's very serious already, but I'd make a point to get it asap.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it's too late.  I think doctors are still recommending it, since there is an outbreak.  DS actually just got his on Monday at his 2 year well visit.

Like PPs, I'd check around your city/county for any flu clinics.  I know my county did a free flu vax drive one day, but we were out of town and missed it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• DS just got his shot today. It's the first time he's ever gotten it. We chose to get it for him this year based on the high level of cases this year & the fact he just started day care. He got it at the pedi's.

• It's definitely not too late.  Check with your health department; for the state of Ohio the general number is (614) 466-3543.  Depending on where you live, they may direct to you your local health department.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Yes, I agree with everyone, I would def get it. I know you said your pedi is out, but can't someone else at the office do it? Is the office closed? I would call their office and ask, if you can.

ETA: I just noticed it said the pedi is out - of the vaccine. I just read "out" before. Sorry!! Can you call the pedi and ask what they suggest you do?

• Does your pedi have a backup while their out? I know ours will have a backup in case someone needs to be seen while they're out. If not, I'd call a hospital or walk in and see if they'd do it.
  • I would make every effort to get it. LO had influenza type B (she tested positive), and then I caught it. It took her down for 7 days and me for 10. It's a respiratory flu and it was just horrible awful terrible.

She had her shot 4 days before she came down with it. I didn't get my shot because I was in my first trimester so I was hoping to wait.

I honestly think she picked it up at the Pedi's office because there were a ton of kids in there with it!

• I agree with everyone else and think you should try and get Miles one if you can. Call the health dept, even if they can't do it there they might have other suggestions for you.

ETA: O got his in Nov at his 2yr well visit and G got the 2nd half of hers last week.

imageimage
  • We all (DH, myself and LO) got ours in November.  I'm a big fan of vaccines in general though. :)  I agree that I would check with your local health department and it wouldn't hurt to call Walgreens and see if they will give it.  I didn't catch why the pedi can't do it...I assume you don't need an appt for that, usually they are drop in at doctor's offices since a nurse can do it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We did get everyone the flu shot. It is a BAD year this year.

I would still get it...it is not too late.

Our insurance requires shots to be given at my Doc. office so we can't go to CVS.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Thanks all! You inspired me to really push it and I went to CVS anyways (their Minute Clinic) and they have ONE left for children as young as two (they said two was the limit, so we were weeks within the range). 

Miles is now officially vaccinated (woohoo!) and he did great. Didn't even cry :) He's now enjoying a sucker (his treat for being a big boy).  

• imageNicole0012:

Thanks all! You inspired me to really push it and I went to CVS anyways (their Minute Clinic) and they have ONE left for children as young as two (they said two was the limit, so we were weeks within the range). 

Miles is now officially vaccinated (woohoo!) and he did great. Didn't even cry :) He's now enjoying a sucker (his treat for being a big boy).  

Brave boy and glad you snagged one! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad you were able to find one.  DS got his at the end of December.  I usually get one...but didn't bother this year or last.  I'm just lazy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"