3rd Trimester
Options

Can IV fluids cause diarrhea? (Maybe tmi)

Last night I spent 5 hours in L&D with contractions, and they wanted to see if pumping me with IV fluids would slow things down - it didn't, but I also wasn't progressing, so they discharged me. While at the hospital I had one large drink of ice water and 2 bags of IV in a short amount of time. When I left, DH and I grabbed a late dinner. About an hour later we were home and within a few minutes I was running to the bathroom with diarrhea. Could this be from the IV? Or do you think it's just another pre-labor sign?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Can IV fluids cause diarrhea? (Maybe tmi)

• Options

I've never experienced diarrhea after IV fluids, nor have I ever heard of it as a nurse.

I would lean toward pre-labor sign or stomach bug. Hope you feel better soon. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Options

I doubt it was the fluids. Probably a prelabor thing. We run fluids rapidly on pts in the icu all the time & no one has had diarrhea from them specifically.

good luck

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Omg..this is happening to me right now. I was in the ER on Thursday due to pregnancy induced syncope (fainting). I was given 1 bag of IV fluids. I am 31 weeks. Thursday evening I too had a late dinner around 7 by like 10pm (sorry for details) but I have had loose stools since. I mean water faucet loose stools. I'm worried about actually getting dehydrated now and if my little one is getting enough nutrients. I know this post is a year old but would love to hear how things panned out.
  • Options
    As an ICU nurse i've never had this happen. As a person receiving IV fluids this has never happened to me either.... sounds like pre-labor or perhaps a stomach bug... 
  • Options
    I would guess a pre-labor issue.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was recently in the hosp for accute pancreatitis and was given 9 liters in less then a 24 hr period and wasn't allowed solids so in that instance, yes I had the runs. I've been given iv fluids several times during my pregnancies and I've never had just one or two liters give me any problems so I would be inclined to agree on possible stomach bug. 
  • Options
    I agree with the previous ICU nurse (since I'm one, too)...No, IV fluids will not cause diarrhea...it helps with hydration which will make you pee. It is probably what you ate after the hospital or it is a sign of labor. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"