Ohio Babies
Options

St. Ann's versus Riverside

Lcherry937Lcherry937 member
edited July 2021 in Ohio Babies
I have to decide which hospital to deliver at between St. Ann's and Riverside. I just recently moved to The Columbus area so I know nothing about either hospital.  Does anyone have any recommendations out of these two or positive/negative experiences at either? 

Re: St. Ann's versus Riverside

• Options

I delivered at Riverside & had a really great experience. Riverside is extremely busy though (one of the busiest labor & delivery units in the country), so there was only 1 nurse in my room for delivery. Usually they have 1 nurse for delivery and another nurse to take the baby. Also, I got my epidural right away but it seemed like the nurse anesthetist's get busy so you may have to wait a little bit for an epidural. (They do have their own L & D nurse anesthetists and anesthesiologist though, so that's nice.)

I think an upside to it being so busy is that they've pretty much seen it all and that made me feel comfortable that they would be able to handle any complications that could arise. 

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    I have delivered at both, my experience at Riverside was much better from beginning to end. When I delivered at St. Anns with my first, I was not admitted right away after arriving at midnight, spent 3 hours in triage without seeing a doctor before the nurse was able to verify my water had torn and I was in fact in labor. After I was admitted and in a l&d room I was assigned a nurse who was on her first night and the other nurses wanted to "teach" her by letting her fly solo with me...I could go on and on. I just won't be delivering there with #3. 
    Mommy of three, capturing memories is what I do www.buckikiddies.com In my bag: Canon 5D MK III, 16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 100mm 2.8L
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you ladies! I really appreciate your honest opinions. I haven't met anyone around here that has delivered at either and of course my Dr's and nurses have nothing but great things to say about both places!

• Options
    I don't post often but wanted to add my thoughts. I delivered twice at St Ann's and had a great experience both times. My second was a bit of an emergency situation, and everything was done in a professional and safe manner. Nurses were awesome too. I would recommend a maternity tour at both hospitals to help with your decision. Good Luck!
  • Options
    I think you'd have a great experience at either hospital.  I personally delivered at Riverside and aside from my labor and delivery nurse I had a great experience!  She knew her stuff and all she just wasn't terribly friendly.  But my nurses for the rest of our stay were all super.  But a good friend of mine went at St. Ann's for both deliveries and she loved it there too.  I think either way you'll be in good hands so just choose the closer hospital!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I had my first at Riverside, everything was fine there but it was an extremely quick delivery (3 hrs) so not much to judge on.  I'm having this baby at St. Ann's since my husband works for Mt. Carmel now and I'm really excited about it.  The have a great facility and their NICU is run by Children's Hospital and is one of the best in Columbus so if something happens with baby you have the best NICU care in the same hospital you're in.  I'd be comfortable at either Riverside or St. Ann's.  I agree with going on a tour to see what you think you'll be most comfortable with.
    Daughter Emily - 10/28/03, and baby on the way makes 4! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I delivered at St. Ann's, and would go there again. I had a room with a tub, and was glad that the only people in there beside my husband and myself were the midwife and nurse. The L&D nurse was really nice and helpful, and the mom&baby nurses were, too. The tub room was huge! And it is a nice option if you want to deliver in the water. They were prompt about getting me food after and the meals for the rest of the stay were pretty good. We took the 4-week childbirth class at St Anns too and it was good if you are wanting to take a class.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I also have to choose between those 2 and tonight is our tour at St. Ann's.  We have toured Riverside and liked it.  I have not heard any bad experiences from either place.  Both are about the same drive-time from where we live, so I am going to go on the vibe I get tonight on tour.  St. Ann's was originally a birthing hospital, so they are known for that.  Good luck!  You probably won't go wrong either way.
  • Options

I delivered at St Ann's and couldn't have had a more positive experience, beginning to end. 

With that said, the two hospitals are the best around for maternity so I'd go with the one closest to you.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"