January 2012 Moms

Milk questions for those that bottle feed

Right after DS's 1st birthday we began introducing whole cow's milk. He takes it fine cold out of a sippy but has to have it warmed when he takes it out of a bottle. He is getting better with the sippy but not proficient enough with it to get substantial calories from his milk that way. He does eat solids (either purees or finger foods) several times per day. I feel like I should be weaning him from the bottle and I have dropped at least 1 bottle a day, but he's still getting about 6-8 oz in each bottle, for a total of about 24 oz of milk or formula per day and some days more than that, depending on how hungry he seems to be. Usually it's 3 bottles per day though. Just curious how many of your LO's still take bottles at one year old (or nearly one year old) and how many ounces of milk/formula/pumped BM they are getting per day at this point?

Re: Milk questions for those that bottle feed

• I started dropping bottles and formula a few weeks ago, simply for the fact that I was tired of mixing bottles and washing 10 billion parts.  DS has been really easy about it, but he's a pretty adjustable kid- more than normal.  Right now he's still taking about 24 oz. (3 cups) a day in addition to 3 solid meals.  

We started with just giving him cold milk in a cup with meals.  Whatever he didn't finish I kept offering him through the course of the day.  This past week we switched his night bottle to a night cup.  He still won't take that one unless it's warm, and I still use the time to hold and cuddle with him.  I think it's more for comfort than anything, and I'm ok with that :)  

Anniversary

• I am bad.  I still give her the bottle throughout the day when she gets really fussy.  And when she wakes at night.   It is usually the only thing to calm her.  I am not even sure how much she is getting but I am pretty sure it is more than 24 oz.

I need to discuss it with my ped this week for her 12 month appointment.  I'm sure I have reinforced a bad habit but it has made life easier so far.  I would love to stop buying Nutrimigen though at about $7 a day.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Loading the player...
  • We are on our last container of formula and LO will be 1 on Sunday. At 11 months I switched to just sippy cups during the day with whole milk. He wasn't all that interested in sippys, but I continued to offer the milk in them at meals and snack. I still let him have a night bottle with formula in it. He drinks about 18oz a day. Approx 4oz from each sippy and his night bottle is 6oz. He wakes up at night and sometimes needs a bottle to fall back asleep, but I never make more than 2oz at night. The temperature of his milk or formula has never been an issue--he doesn't have a preference, so I'm no help in that department.  

• DD drinks only from sippy cups. She drinks 5 x 6 oz cups of WCM each day and is allowed to drink water if she is thirsty between meal/snack times. She eats yogurt/mashed banana for breakfast and then finger foods for lunch/PM snack/dinner.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• My son is still taking a bottle (he will be 1 next week), but we introduced the sippy when he was 7 months old. He will drink water out of the sippy during the day. I'll take him off the bottle after he is completely switched over to whole milk (most likely by next week because we dont have much formula left to mix!). Breakfast lunch and dinner he gets a bottle at each with 6-7 ounces of 3 parts whole milk to 1 part formula. He then gets a 7 ounce bottle at night before bed of 3 parts whole milk to 1 part formula. He is a really good eater and gets a good amount of solids-finger foods at each meal (usually eats what ever we are eating.) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker]
  • DD will only drink water from a sippy and won't touch formula from it. So she's still very much bottle fed :/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"