Special Needs
Options

Short Femur at 38 week ultrasound

Just went to my 38 week maternal fetal medicine doc. Babys development went from 47th percentile to 25 the percentile. I asked what that means she said he's measuring at 36 weeks 3 days as opposed to 38 weeks. She said I'm so close to due date that it's normal. If he was in the 10th percentile she said she would have me rushed to the hospital. Also, she notices that his femurs were measuring small, has anyone ever experienced all of this??? I'm going to be induced within the week due to gestational hypertension. I'm more nervous and scared now after hearing all of this.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Short Femur at 38 week ultrasound

• Options
    Did she say anything about there being a plus or minus a few weeks at this point?
  • Options
    He is measuring 36 weeks 3 days, I'm 38 weeks today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I guess I would ask why were seeing MFM to start with, and maybe you could talk to your primary OBGYN for some reassurance.  DD2 was always small, until I was going into labor/induced at 35 weeks but she had IUGR.  You are at 38 weeks, I would think if she even THOUGHT something was going on they would discuss inducing you.

I hope you find some answers, I always valued my MFM's opinion and it put me at ease..doesn't seem like that's happening here so someone should be able to do that for you.  If nothing, call the office back and ask to leave a message.

Their can always be a discrepancy though, in growth scans and if the baby is bigger it can be harder to get accurate measurements.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    My younger son has a congenital short femur. It was discovered during my 23rd week of pregnancy. At the time, the u/s tech was concerned. She actually said that taking that particular measurement for the anatomy scan wasn't standard, but bc mine was a twin pregnancy, she was trying to figure out whose limbs were whose.

We continued to have routine scans until I delivered. There was always a discrepancy in measuring the baby because the shorter leg would date him earlier and the longer one would place him at the correct gestation.

While I'm not suggesting that this is the case with your baby, I'm just offering my experience with femur shortening.

Feel free to ask me anything else that might help you.
  • Options

imagePUTMANKR:
    He is measuring 36 weeks 3 days, I'm 38 weeks today.

How are the other bones measuring?  How tall are you and the dad?  I have the same question as the PP ... why are you being followed by an MFM?

My daughter's femur began measuring short around 30 weeks.  By 35 weeks, her femur was about 5-6 weeks behind gestation & her head and abdomen were about 1-2 weeks ahead of gestation.  She has a form of dwa.rfism.  

If the femur is the only thing measuring behind, it could mean nothing.  Definitely let your doctor know that you are worried and want to talk about it a little more.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Me: 28, DH: 33
    Conceived DD in <1yr w/o assistance
    TTC#2 since 11/2013
    DX: PCOS
    Benched pending conf of Rubella immunity
    Next Cycle: CLOMID round 1

• Options

A 20 weeks we found my daughters femurs (and arms) were measuring 3-4 weeks behind. She has a form of dwarfism (osteogenesis imperfecta). If you need to after everything calms down feel free to email me, chelsealush @ gmail . com

mom to baby Zoe, DX Osteogenesis Imperfecta type 3, over 50 fractures since birth, 4 surgeries, uses a wheelchair, severe sleep apnea, mild hydrocephalus, beautiful blue eyes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"