December 2010 Moms

How long for a fever?

So how long do you go before bringing Los in to be checked? Since we started daycare last month A and J have been snotty the entire time and they have taken turns running fevers and coughing. When I have taken them in after the 3 days of fever and cough the doctors are like "yep it's daycare, sorry they are sick, gotta run its course yadda yadda. "And make me feel silly for bringing them in
A is running a fever again. This will be day 4 or 5, he doesn't need round the clock meds, still has the nagging cough and congestion but no problems breathing, appetite is down but he still eats drinks and plays. His lungs sound fine but I can't look in his ears or throat.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How long for a fever?

• Both of mine have been snotty, sneezing, coughing for over 2 weeks.  They both initially were running slight fevers like yours, off & on, but I'm just letting it run it's course. (H's fever was never more than 100.3)  There seems to be a lot of "crud" going around right now, that's taking a while to get over.   I tend to wait things out myself, and when I'm in doubt, I call the nurse at the pedi office.  As they say, fevers are actually helpful, as their bodies are fighting off whatever it needs to.  If they're otherwise acting OK, I'd personally just ride it out. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yeah low grade fevers I don't care but he has been 102.5104 consistently this run. Thankfully Tylenol Motrin and cool baths bring him down. Our pedi nurseline is useless they say always bring him in its the docs who say stay home.
    He had a similar week right before Christmas and had an ear infection. After 10 days of antibiotics A was doing great and then the 2nd day after they were finished he was sick again : don't know if the infection didnt clear or if its a new bug. His not so well visit is scheduled for friday
  • Loading the player...
  • imageenjoylife:
    So how long do you go before bringing Los in to be checked? Since we started daycare last month A and J have been snotty the entire time and they have taken turns running fevers and coughing. When I have taken them in after the 3 days of fever and cough the doctors are like "yep it's daycare, sorry they are sick, gotta run its course yadda yadda. "And make me feel silly for bringing them in A is running a fever again. This will be day 4 or 5, he doesn't need round the clock meds, still has the nagging cough and congestion but no problems breathing, appetite is down but he still eats drinks and plays. His lungs sound fine but I can't look in his ears or throat.

A's symptoms sounds exactly like C's last week.  He ran some version of a fever for a solid 5 days.  I did take him in around day 2 b/c he got sent home from school b/c he couldn't stop coughing (and it was making him vomit).  Honestly, I'd give it until tomorrow and see if he improves some more.  Hope he feels great by then!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm pretty terrible about taking DD to the pedi to be perfectly honest for the reason you mentioned, if it is just a cold they are no help.  If the fever isn't persistent (goes down easily and stays down for awhile) and if LO is acting relatively normal, I would probably give it another couple days.  That being said DD has never had an ear infection, if she'd had had one I may be a bit more proactive.

DD and I got a creeping crud around Thanksgiving that laid us up for the entire holiday weekend.  DD ran a fever off and on throughout and had a nagging cough for like a month afterward (our 2 year appt was the next week and her lungs were clear, so what can you do?) 

image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • imageenjoylife:
    Yeah low grade fevers I don't care but he has been 102.5104 consistently this run. Thankfully Tylenol Motrin and cool baths bring him down. Our pedi nurseline is useless they say always bring him in its the docs who say stay home. He had a similar week right before Christmas and had an ear infection. After 10 days of antibiotics A was doing great and then the 2nd day after they were finished he was sick again : don't know if the infection didnt clear or if its a new bug. His not so well visit is scheduled for friday

I, too, worry about jumping the gun with a doc appt for LO, but with that high of a fever consistently for 4-5 days, I'd probably call today and see if I could get an appt sooner than Friday.  I guess I'd rather be the A-hole parent that comes into the doc office a little too much than the A-hole parent who didn't come in when my child would have actually benefited from medical attention. 

• Our pedi says if the fever is continuous for 4 days, bring them in or if it's over 104. Otherwise, we just ride it out.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• N was sick over Xmas break too. And Thanksgiving! This last time the fever was about 102 for three days and then it broke and a rash appeared, so I was okay with it because it was just some viral thing. We kind of just have to watch his moods. If he's up running and screaming and climbing on stuff, then we just let it ride, but a whiny, lethargetic Nate usually ends in ear infection or antibiotics.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was a ride it out mama. Then one time LO had strep. He was a trooper and played fine during the day...so I was surprised and felt awful that he'd been suffering for an extra 2 days since the symptoms showed up and the nurses asked why I'd waited to bring him in. Since then, I've been one of those people that carts their kid to the doctor after a day or two of fever.
  • Our pedi always wants to see kids if they have a fever, cough, rash, etc. (more than the basic runny nose) for more than three days to rule out infection and what not. Even if you go and they tell you its a virus, its good to double check.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• We are in a tricky boat because LO takes after me.  He never gets fevers and he doesn't show you he doesn't feel good.  We had to get in the habit of taking him in because he kept having recurring ear infections but never really gave signs that anything was going on so every ear tug was a pedi visit and another ear infection.  Once they figured out that the antibiotic they were giving him didn't work and switched him that seemed to help a lot.  Now that he's had tubes in for the past few weeks he's been in good shape.  Recently, it seemed like he was struggling a bit more with breathing and actually started acting puny; still no fever.  Took him in, chest xray, Pneumonia!  These kids are so hard to figure out sometimes.  Personally, I'd call the dr's offc, speak with the nurse and tell her you want her to get the dr's opinion on whether you should come in. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies! We have an appt scheduled in about 2 hours, I'll be back with an update. I agree these kiddos are tricky and although A runs his fevers he still doesn't tell us where he hurts yet. His ear infection last month was his first and he never once pulled on his ears.
  • Well we stumped the pedi today :/

A's ears are slightly irritated but not crazy so to explain high fevers, cough is cruddy but lungs are clear, nose is snotty and throat has drainage but not strep. Pedi is doing a round of omnicef to see if things will clear up on its own, fix the ear infection for good and go from there if he has another fever cycle he may do blood/urine/Xrays but he wasn't that impressed about the ears or congestion being the cause. I think he's hoping it disappears and frankly so do I. He's been going through a tough time transitioning to daycare and new brother new routines but him being sick has just made things harder for him.
  • imageenjoylife:
    Well we stumped the pedi today :/ A's ears are slightly irritated but not crazy so to explain high fevers, cough is cruddy but lungs are clear, nose is snotty and throat has drainage but not strep. Pedi is doing a round of omnicef to see if things will clear up on its own, fix the ear infection for good and go from there if he has another fever cycle he may do blood/urine/Xrays but he wasn't that impressed about the ears or congestion being the cause. I think he's hoping it disappears and frankly so do I. He's been going through a tough time transitioning to daycare and new brother new routines but him being sick has just made things harder for him.

Maybe a virus combined with the cold then?  EIther way, hope he's feeling better soon!  I know you're in healthcare so probably up on omnicef, but just in case not, C had it for a couple ear infections.  It can cause runny, rusty-colored poop so just a heads up!  We did Florastor in combo with it and that helped quite a bit. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"