Toddlers: 24 Months+

Intro

Hi there,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the board.  I am part of the September 2010 mommies, and haven't been on in a while.  I wanted to join an age-appropriate board for my son, whom is 28 months.  There is a language delay that is becoming more and more apparent, and despite some progress it is just hitting some sticking points.  The pregnancy was unplanned, although I did live a healthy lifestyle, and through some research and going through family history I suspect that I may have had untreated hypothyroidism during the pregnancy, on top of the anemia (which we knew about).  I was hoping to connect with some other mommies on here both to hear about normal development in their children, and if anyone has had a language delay (comprehension seems okay, but there is little to no spontaneous language use, and the vocalizations sound quite odd most of the time).  

My plan currently, after working with a speech program at his school, is to request the pediatrician do a full eval (including toxicity and hormone level screenings), to begin an at-home learning program, and I have joined several reading groups/play groups, and the local children's museum to try to expose him to more learning opportunities.

It is all just overwhelming as I am a single mother working two jobs to put myself through school.  Any and every piece of advice is appreciated!

D

Re: Intro

• Not sure where you live, but many states have programs where he can get evaluated for free. I'm in NY and was concerned because my daughter doesn't say many things that I can understand, but she understands everything. She was evaluated and they say that she's normal, but it's frustrating. The best I can say is to get him evaluated, try to be patient, and just keep working with him. Encourage him to name things all day, even if he doesn't, he should start. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"