2nd Trimester
Options

Will maternity clothes last throughout my entire pregnancy?

So this is my first pregnancy and I am 12 weeks.  I have started showing a bit (regular clothes still fit but definitely more comfortable with my pants button undone).  Not sure if this matters but I normally wear size 3-5/s-m.  I want to know if I buy maternity clothes now if they will last my entire pregnancy or if I will have to buy more again when I am bigger.

Thanks, 

Re: Will maternity clothes last throughout my entire pregnancy?

• Options
    I bought most of my maternity stuff in August. I'm almost 35 weeks now and my clothes are still good. I did pick up a few other things here and there because I got sick of wearing the same things, or I needed some fancier things for special events. But so far, my clothes have held up really well. Hoping they will continue to do so.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    I bought my pants when I was 12 weeks and I am now 25 weeks and they still fit perfect!  I still fit into everything I purchased at 12-14 weeks but I have purchased a few new things a little bit bigger just because I don't like them when they get too tight!  I wouldn't buy a ton right now just buy as you need - that is what I have done and I don't feel I have spent a fortune keeping myself in nice fitting clothes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's really impossible to tell.  It depends on how much you gain and how you carry.  You might stay tiny, you might balloon up, you may have a big bump or you might find you gain more weight in your boobs, butt and thighs.  It's a waiting game.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    In general, maternity clothes in your size should work the whole time. I also bought a couple regular clothes outfits a size bigger than normal.
  • Options
    With my first there were a few maternity shirts I picked up early on when I started showing that didn't really cover the belly well by the end.  They were better middle pregnancy shirts.  It's been fine as I wore them last pregnancy and am now wearing some of them.  I have most all of the clothes from my first pregnancy still.  Some of the tops got little snags and holes in the belly area since the belly sticks out so far by the end so I've tossed a couple shirts.  Also, one pair of full panel maternity jeans didn't hold up; a few tears in the panel from pulling them up so I tossed them.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

It's really hard to say because everyone's body is so different and grows at different rates. My cousin is about my size and she gave me her maternity clothes last time around, they were HUGE on me and even at 42 weeks never fit. This time around I'm just getting a few pieces of maternity clothes now and they will get tighter and shorter towards the end but I'm pretty positive they will still fit.  

• Options
    I bought a majority of my maternity clothes around the same time as you. I'm just over 23 weeks and they're still good. I had picked up a few mediums thinking they would work too but they're still far too big. From what I've heard the same size should be fine throughout the entire pregnancy.
  • Options
    It really depends on how big you get and how you carry, I don't think you'll be able to predict that.  If you want to buy things now, maybe buy 1 size bigger so they last longer.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    I wore sizes 24 before getting pregnant with my first. I bought small in maternity and thankfully those fit for the whole pregnancy but everyone is different.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For the most part they will still fit, but keep seasons in mind. I'm wearing sweaters and long sleeve shirts now, but in June/July I won't be. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Most of mine did (last time) and have been so far this time, but I can tell there are some shirts that will be too tight for my comfort to wear all the way through this time. I'm gaining more than last pregnancy and I also have a pair of pants that fit fine a few weeks ago but now feel a little tighter.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options

This is my 2nd pregnancy.  With DD, I bought a mat dress at about 14 wks (didn't need it per se yet but it was cute and on sale).  It was my size but by 3rd T it was too tight in the ribcage.  So my advice is to make sure whatever it is has give in areas you'll likely expand (this dress didn't.)  

Meanwhile, since it's my 2nd, I've worn some pants I wore all through my 1st PG and they don't fit now.  It's probably how I'm carrying (I haven't put on that much weight) but they aren't comfortable based on where they hit me.  

But generally, if you get good mat stuff in your size, and err on the bigger side if you are between sizes (I'm a small but I'll go for medium when in doubt) then you should be okay. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My pre-pregnancy shirts (the majority of them) still fit me- but I was given some maternity pants, size large, and grew out of them once I started getting a bump (18 weeks, normally a size xl) so now I need to buy some pants. Demi panels are good when you cant fit into your old jeans, and want some stretch. Once you start getting a bump you'll want the full panel, where it covers your whole belly.
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Some of them will, some of them may not. It really depends on how big you get.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    I found some of the shirts got short on me last time (I was HUGE) but I bought men's undershirts (the cheap 4 pack from Walmart) and they were great to wear underneath and give that little extra belly coverage. For some reason men's t-shirts are quite a bit longer than women's. Plus, they are not low cut so they help underneath some of the maternity shirts that show a little too much cleavage.
  • Options
    Probably, but like PP said, it really depends on the person and how they carry their weight. Last time around mat clothes didn't fit very well until 30 weeks. I've been in those same clothes this time since 12 weeks. I suspect most of my mat clothes will last the whole time, but who knows.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"