June 2011 Moms

Wraps and summer babies

Long time lurker here. My son was a June baby and I never really played with the idea of baby wearing with him. Well, now I'm expecting another summer baby and I'm thinking that with a two year old and a newborn, baby wearing might be very convienient. But I don't even know where to start. I remember one bumpie in this board in particular being very wrap savvy. Is she still around? What's a good wrap or sling for summer time? I worry about it being so hot. I've learned lots from you ladies as a lurker in the past, so this seemed like a good place to start. Any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA!
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wraps and summer babies

• You're thinking of Nickiechan.  I paged her on the FB group for you.  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• I'm probably now who you were thinking of, but I make carriers, and still where both of my girls. :) 

I used all sorts of carriers with the youngest. First I used a moby style stretchy wrap, as long as it wasn't too hot out it was fine. You can also find them in gauze which is a lighter material.

We used a ring sling (still do) on the hot days, since I used a light cotton. 

Mei Tai's and ssc are a great option too!  

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey mama and congratulations on the new pregnancy. As PP said a Moby is a great starter wrap for newborns, but once the LO is around 16lbs it starts to hurt. That was my experience. I invested in a woven wrap and absolutely loved it! there is a learning curve that goes with woven wraps but once you know it it is very simple to do carries. However since you already have a toddler I would say that maybe a ring sling would be easier in you since it is 'pop and go's or even a SSC soft structure carrier for quick ups and Downs so you can focus on toddler. With wrapping there is a bit of time that goes with wrappingless then a minute but with chaos it might be more difficult to get a nice tight wrap job. Do you have any idea of what you would like?
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Thanks so much for the replies. Good points about the ring slings. I didn't think about the difficulty in getting the wrap on correctly while wrangling two children. I guess I just need the easiest option that won't be too hot. Like I said, I have zero wrap/sling experience or knowledge so I really appreciate all of your help.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • just wanted to add that i wore lexi all the time in the moby in the summer, in Texas! It was warm, but she liked being toasty and cuddled when she was a newborn, and she never seemed to get overheated. Though in Tx, we are careful not to spend hours outside when its 110, no matter what we are wearing!
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For the newbie stage in hotter weather I agree ring slings are great, you might also want to see if there is a baby wearing meeting in your area so you can try some things once baby arrives.  

Image and video hosting 
by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wore my LO in an infantino soft structured carrier. She has always hated being hot and couldn't stand the Moby because it was too warm. The carrier had more ventilation points and she was happy as a clam in there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"