December 2010 Moms
Options

Fired for refusing flu shot (NBR)

This nurse, along with seven others, were fired for refusing a mandate that required all health care staff get a flu shot.  

https://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-refusing-flu-shot-224637902--abc-news-health.html

Thoughts?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fired for refusing flu shot (NBR)

• Options

1) I think every individual has the right to choose what they want to (or don't want to) inject into their body.

2) I think every company has the right to hire/keep employees who are making choices that support the company's mission, whatever it might be.

In the case of nurses--having the flu could be detrimental to anyone who comes into the hospital and is already immunocompromised. Sure, people get the flu even when they get the flu shot, but in this case by requiring the flu shot, the hospital is trying to lower the chances of that happening.

The nurses knew rejecting getting the flu shot would put their jobs at risk, and they risked it.

Around here recently, hospitals made it known that they will not hire smokers and are ramping up programs for quitting smoking for current employees who smoke. 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options
    Getting the flu shot does not guarantee you won't get the flu. I think it's BS that they got fired. I went through a similar situation a few years back. I worked in a hospital most of my working career and although I wasn't a nurse, they tried to mandate the shot. I was pregnant at the time and did not want it (I wouldn't have wanted it regardless if I was pregnant or not), but I refused to get it, but my hospital over turned the mandate before they penalized anyone. Your body, your choice.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

So I work as a nurse in an ER and we heard the same mandate. Now I get the flu shot every year already, and kiddos/family members do too. But I agree with the nurse. Her body, her choice.

Our hospital, for now, after you sign all the documents refusing the shot mandate you are masked for the entire shift, not just with patient encounters. I "think" if you are caught without your mask then you face HR/management involvement and possible firing.  I think the mandate is a bit extreme personally, we screen every admitted patient for influenza and pneumonia immunization status. They still have the right to refuse the vaccines, yet we don't refuse them admission or make them wear masks the entire time they are within the hospital either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageheyitsme:

1) I think every individual has the right to choose what they want to (or don't want to) inject into their body.

2) I think every company has the right to hire/keep employees who are making choices that support the company's mission, whatever it might be.

In the case of nurses--having the flu could be detrimental to anyone who comes into the hospital and is already immunocompromised. Sure, people get the flu even when they get the flu shot, but in this case by requiring the flu shot, the hospital is trying to lower the chances of that happening.

The nurses knew rejecting getting the flu shot would put their jobs at risk, and they risked it.

Around here recently, hospitals made it known that they will not hire smokers and are ramping up programs for quitting smoking for current employees who smoke. 

This. Extremely well-said, and I heartily agree. 

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageutlawgirl:
    imageheyitsme:

This. Extremely well-said, and I heartily agree. 

This, mostly. I agree that it was ok to fire them, actually. Flu shots don't always work but they usually do. Our old daycare didn't allow kids to enroll if they didn't take the flu shot and I was very happy with that mandate. 

The reason I say "mostly" is because I think that there are some things employees should not be fired for that might fall under all sorts of isms. Like there was that case recently of a woman getting fired because her boss was attracted to her and was worried about his marriage being harmed if she stayed employed under him. She did nothing to bring it on other than being attractive. That's an extreme example, but I think you should be protected if you are, say, gay (even though being gay "goes against" some companies' missions). I guess it also depends on whether your place of employment is public or private.

But yes, in this case, I think it is reasonable to fire nurses who don't want a shot unless they have some very well documented reason for not getting one.  

As for religious reasons to not get the shot I feel torn about this...the problem with religious exemptions is that you can pretty much always claim a religious reason not to do something. In a scientific field like healthcare I think it is reasonable to put science ahead of religion. But again, I'm torn on the religion issue. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I believe you have the right to refuse it- but if your employers require it- then they have the right to fire you for not complying with company policies.

You can make whatever decision you want, but know it has consquences- and while yes you can still get the flu even if immunized- it is lessening the chances that you will.  And esp. in health care, they HAVE to have their employees present and healthy.  I worked in hospice- and ALWAYS got my flu shot, got it when I was pregnant, and the boys get one too- I am not vaccine-phobic.

• Options
    imagechickaboo1974:

I believe you have the right to refuse it- but if your employers require it- then they have the right to fire you for not complying with company policies.

You can make whatever decision you want, but know it has consquences- and while yes you can still get the flu even if immunized- it is lessening the chances that you will.  And esp. in health care, they HAVE to have their employees present and healthy.  I worked in hospice- and ALWAYS got my flu shot, got it when I was pregnant, and the boys get one too- I am not vaccine-phobic.

ditto. 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    imageheyitsme:

Agreed!  And well said :)

A friend I know just died because of flu complications.  This girl had no other health issues, in her early 30s, and was a complete shock.  Nobody realizes that people honestly DO die from the flu.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageheyitsme:

ITA! I know when the triplets were in the NICU we were all very careful, flu shots were required to protect the tiny babies.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"