Baby Showers

Tacky!!

We just got an invite to a gender reveal party thrown by the parents to be. I am okay with someone throwing themselves a gender reveal party, but half the invite includes where they are registered. I know they are excited, but this comes across as very gift grabby. The kicker is the couple already knows the sex of the baby and is waiting until the party to tell everyone else. Do you think they are having a gender reveal party in lieu of a shower? I know some people think this board can be harsh, but it?s for their own good!! This just seems tacky to me.  

Re: Tacky!!

• Mehhh, knowing a lot of people this is probably in addition to a shower. 

I would just decline the invite. 

• YEs, it's tacky.  Throwing your own gift giving party always is. 

If you go and if you take a gift, if you are THEN invited to a shower, I would NOT give another gift.  Because that's even more horribly tacky- asking the same people numerous times to buy you something.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • imagestw_77:

Mehhh, knowing a lot of people this is probably in addition to a shower. 

This is my thought as well.

I really hate sex reveal parties.  What I hate more is parents who already know and try to make it some big fun surprise for everyone else they know.  No one will ever care that much about you or your child. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• imageAllycat11:
    imagestw_77:

I really hate sex reveal parties.  What I hate more is parents who already know and try to make it some big fun surprise for everyone else they know.  No one will ever care that much about you or your child. 

This x100. 

• Yeah, it does sound a bit gift grabby to me too. I'd also decline the invite, but that's just my opinion.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would just decline the invite.
  • Hey ladies, new here! just my two cents!

I think its tacky to include the registry info on the invite, period. Put it on an insert in the envelope. I'll be doing something similar to this: a gender reveal shower, throwing my own. However, this is a no big gift shower. Sure, bring me bags of pretzel m&ms or gift cards, whatever, but i feel like gifts shouldn't be the point of a shower like this.  I'm more focused on having fun with my guests and showing off my DIY deco skills (;

• imagemadisonabernathy:

Hey ladies, new here! just my two cents!

I think its tacky to include the registry info on the invite, period. Put it on an insert in the envelope. I'll be doing something similar to this: a gender reveal shower, throwing my own. However, this is a no big gift shower. Sure, bring me bags of pretzel m&ms or gift cards, whatever, but i feel like gifts shouldn't be the point of a shower like this.  I'm more focused on having fun with my guests and showing off my DIY deco skills (;

Indifferent
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    imagemadisonabernathy:

Indifferent

I take it I should explain more. I'm not including a registry in mine or even asking for gifts. Not mentioning it period. My shower is gender reveal theme because i'm crafty and found a bunch of things I'd like to make to decorate and give as favors. Little one is taken care of, so I just want to enjoy the time with family and friends. Family might have their own separate formal shower with gifts and registries and all that jazz, but that really isn't our style and my friends and family generally don't like to play nice. The ending about showing off and pretzel m&m (my new preggo obsession) was just a silly joke. 

• imagemadisonabernathy:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imagemadisonabernathy:

Indifferent

I take it I should explain more. I'm not including a registry in mine or even asking for gifts. Not mentioning it period. My shower is gender reveal theme because i'm crafty and found a bunch of things I'd like to make to decorate and give as favors. Little one is taken care of, so I just want to enjoy the time with family and friends. Family might have their own separate formal shower with gifts and registries and all that jazz, but that really isn't our style and my friends and family generally don't like to play nice. The ending about showing off and pretzel m&m (my new preggo obsession) was just a silly joke. 

Indifferent  still applies.

You can have a sex reveal party if you so choose but it's not a shower. You never throw your own shower. 

Are you having a sex reveal party or are you announcing the baby's sex at your shower? I'm confused.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my circle of friends and family, we throw our own. It's a celebration of an addition to our family, not a celebration of me. That must be something between us.

I suppose it's a shower revealing the babies gender, I don't see the difference here.
  • imagemadisonabernathy:
    In my circle of friends and family, we throw our own. It's a celebration of an addition to our family, not a celebration of me. That must be something between us. I suppose it's a shower revealing the babies gender, I don't see the difference here.

The difference is a shower is about gifts. "Showering" you w/ gifts.  If it's not about gifts, then don't call it a shower.  It's really that simple.  Call it what it is  - a sex reveal party, a BBQ, a get together.  Don't call these events "showers" if they really aren't about gifts.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageAllycat11:
    imagestw_77:

I think that is a little harsh. I would care if was a good friend or family member. What gets me is that they are asking for gifts. When a friend of mine did this they had a BBQ in their backyard and made it casual. It actually was a lot of fun. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAdam&Eve2:
    imageAllycat11:
    imagestw_77:

I think that is a little harsh. I would care if was a good friend or family member. What gets me is that they are asking for gifts. When a friend of mine did this they had a BBQ in their backyard and made it casual. It actually was a lot of fun. 

I would go to one for a close friend or family member and would care. I can't imagine a reveal party being a big huge event. I guess I always assumed it was just for close friends and family and I never thought gifts were involved.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This entire thread is making me want to bash my head against a wall.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• I don't know these people very well. Its more of a work thing for my husband....which is why it prob seems even more weird to me.
  • imagetilsonc:
    I don't know these people very well. Its more of a work thing for my husband....which is why it prob seems even more weird to me.

It's weird that you don't know them well.

It's weird that they're asking for gifts.

While I've never been to a reveal party and don't plan on ever throwing one I don't think they are all necessarily tacky. For instance if my sister had one I'd go. The one described in the OP is tacky and weird.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"