December 2012 Moms

DD has RSV... (vent)

We are all sick now and I am so frustrated. I took DD in to the ER at Children's hospital Sunday because she is so congested and coughing so much she is spitting up her food and they told me there is nothing they could do even though she was 10 days old and miserable! Then today she just stopped eating. In 12 hours I got her to eat maybe 4 min here and 5 min there so I took her into the pedi and they tested for RSV and its positive. Since its a virus there apparently is nothing they can do unless she has less than 3 diapers in 24hrs. I got her to eat for 13min this afternoon but then she coughed and spit it all up. I'm just so frustrated and being sick myself its just overwhelming to deal with. Its so hard to see her so sick this little.  I'm doing the humidifier while she sleeps and saline and suction on the nose every feeding I'm at a loss. Isn't there anything else I can do to help her?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

Re: DD has RSV... (vent)

• I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. I don't have any advice to offer but I wanted you to know that I will be hoping for a speedy recovery.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Keep doing what you're doing and hang in there! I'm so sorry you guys are sick!

The best advice I can give you is to first, take care of yourself so you can take care of her. Second, keep her nose clear like you are doing. When babies are congested with thick mucous like that with RSVP, they use so much of their energy just trying to breathe they have nothing left for eating. Three, keep trying to get her to eat. If she won't take the breast, maybe try pumping and spoon or syringe feeding her milk little by little so she doesn't become dehydrated. It may be best to try the spoon after she had nursed for a few minutes.

RSVP is a nasty bug! I sure hope you guys get better quickly, good luck!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry mama :( I hope you guys get better soon!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It sucks. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Hopefully she keeps having wet diapers so you know she's at least staying hydrated. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Vicks on her feet (put socks on over) and chest. I've heard it works miracles!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • bottle feeding or breast our LO is sick we've keep passing a virus with nasal congestion. she was being fussy and wasn't wanting to breastfeed (too congested) so I gave her 2oz via a bottle then she settled enough to nurse better. Burped her every .5 oz as with the congestion she seems to be sucking more air in-adding to spit up.

I've also been putting her in her carrier in the bathroom while I shower. The steam really helps loosen the mucous. 

Some nights I've been having her sleep in her carrier or bouncer the more upright position helps.  Also vicks. I don't like putting it on her but have needed it myself and have noticed shes less congested after I've held her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so sorry your DD is so sick. That just breaks my heart. I think you are doing all of the proper things. I agree with PP about maybe trying a syringe so she doesn't get too much and ends up spitting it up. It is so hard when you are sick too, hang in there momma and keep us updated. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Sorry LO is sickSad  I hope she gets better soon.  Make sure you take care of yourself as well.  She needs you to be healthy so you can take care of her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If it gets bad enough, I think they can admit her and give her breathing treatments, fluids, and help suck out the congestion. They should have given you breathing treatments for her to at least do at home. That is usually mandatory at our pedi if you test positive. With her being under 4 weeks they should be doing more. I'm surprised they didn't admit her. My friend's baby has mild pneumonia from a cold and she has had great relief from the Nose Frida and a good cool mist humidifier. She also had breathing treatments. It helps to open the lungs to cough some of the junk out. It helps them breath better. Keep watching her closely. Babies can get dehydrated very fast. The harder they try to breath the more they need fluids to work their lungs. Ideally, I would work to get her monitored in the hospital, if possible. Unless they think it is pretty mild? Watch her temp too... Although you might not get a fever with RSV.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"