Baby Showers

Baby shower ideas for a shower-phob?

Ok, so I hate showers: bridal showers, baby showers, everything. However, I have come to accept the fact that I will probably have to have one and will have no choice in having one due to excited grandmothers to be. 

So Im curious of ideas; what can take the attention off me and make the event more fun or just as meaningful? Im pretty sure my phobias roots are in my fear of being the center of attention, so Id like to see what other people came up with!  Anyone else in the same boat and survive???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby shower ideas for a shower-phob?

• Just tell your hostess that you are more interested in a casual party type feel, if that is what you are getting at. She can take it from there, and avoid games that would single you out, like when you stand in the middle while people guess how big you are or whatever you don't want.

Really, at my showers it wasn't like there was a ton of attention on me the whole time. Guests also came to catch up with each other, eat, mingle, and plenty of other things that have nothing to do with me.
  • maybe you could do a co-ed BBQ. My sister had that for her bridal shower and then the focus was on her and her FI. Plus there weren't games, just people visiting(like you would at a regular BBQ). 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel th EXACT same way as you!

I am leaning towards just having a gathering of friends over two months or so afterwards for a BBQ or 'sip and see'. 

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • One friend had a co-ed open house stye baby shower.  There was no "opening of presents" so she real wasn't ever the center of attention- but she did write very nice, detailed thank you notes so guests knew that she had gotten the gifts and knew who gave what.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• imageMmm79:
    One friend had a co-ed open house stye baby shower.  There was no "opening of presents" so she real wasn't ever the center of attention- but she did write very nice, detailed thank you notes so guests knew that she had gotten the gifts and knew who gave what.   

Don't do this!  It is rude not to open gifts at a shower.  The other pp had a good idea - ask your hostess to make it a Open House type Shower.  That way not everyone is coming at the same time and you can just open gifts with only a few people there (not such an audience). 

Even though the shower is celebrating you becoming a mom for the first time there is really not that much emphasis on YOU...except when you open presents...but quite frankly they really aren't focused on you so much as they are the gifts you are opening!

Also, like the other pp said...you could decline a shower...unless your family/friends like to do "surprise showers" because then you are out of luck.

• We had "Baby's First Party" instead of a "Baby Shower." It was a co-ed cookout and DH and I opened gifts together so I did not have to be in that awkward spotlight. I was happy that I could include my brother and all of my cousins instead of just the women in the family.
  • My name is Helenahhandbasket, and I am a shower- phobe.

What I did- (or really, what my mom did) was set up a table at the front of the room for my closest girlfriends and I to sit at.  These were all ladies I have grown up with.  This alleviated me sitting in a silly looking chair all by my lonesome.  Then when the present opening took place (this was really what I was dreading), they all helped.  It was great.

Other things I have seen along a similar line was to have some of the kiddos (if you are inviting any) help open presents as well.  That always takes some of the pressure off.

edited to fix wording

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• imageHelenahhandbasket:

My name is Helenahhandbasket, and I am a shower- phobe.

What I did- (or really, what my mom did) was set up a table at the front of the room for my closest girlfriends and I to sit at.  These were all ladies I have grown up with.  This alleviated me sitting in a silly looking chair all by my lonesome.  Then when the present opening took place (this was really what I was dreading), they all helped.  It was great.

Other things I have seen along a similar line was to have some of the kiddos (if you are inviting any) help open presents as well.  That always takes some of the pressure off.

edited to fix wording

LOVE that idea. I doubt the husband would come, so that may make it better :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would go with a gender reveal baby shower. It wouldn't be about you and it would be a about your baby's gender.
  • Honestly, even if you're the guest of honor you're not going to have everyone hanging on to your every word the entire time. People will mix and mingle and chat, and as long as you don't have games like "guess how big the belly is," then the only time attention will be focused on you is during presents - and even then people will be talking to each other, because it's not that thrilling to watch someone open presents.

Also, these are people who love you and your husband and are excited about the baby. It's not like giving a speech to a crowd of strangers. I generally don't care to be the center of attention either, but I had a wonderful time at each of my showers because it was nice getting to see so many people I loved at one time. It was also nice not to have to do any of the prep or cleanup (as I had to do when we hosted a party for DS's baptism when he was seven weeks old). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"